Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 Proccessor Good Gaming option?

Last response: in CPUs
May 28, 2009 2:59:07 AM

I Have a chance to pickup new I7 920 proc and intel board through intel website and wanted take on if these are good options orshould I go Quad Core or even something else any thoughts thanks
May 28, 2009 3:16:05 AM

i7 is quad core, and 8 virtual cores... Its good for gaming, but games dont utilize all cores... mostly 2 i think.

Whats your build configuration?
May 28, 2009 3:18:38 AM

kuffers26 said:
I Have a chance to pickup new I7 920 proc and intel board through intel website and wanted take on if these are good options orshould I go Quad Core or even something else any thoughts thanks

If you have the ability to pick it up free or at a moderate discount and have the cash to do so, I'd pick up the i7. If your going on a tight budget, something in the lines of a Phenom II system would be more appropriate.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2009 3:30:45 AM

Money to spend: i7
Budget: Phenom 2 or Core2
May 28, 2009 3:32:27 AM

i7 is great if you sli and don't want to buy a nvidia board.

Thing is E8400/8500 with a good oc on them will usually do better in games then any quad core can.

i7 just blows things away when a program can use all the cores correctly.

If you just want games but still want quad core some of the phenom II are great gaming cpu's but just alright quadcores
May 28, 2009 4:14:25 AM

The is an article posted in the CPU section that seems to indicate that the i7 920 has an issue with nvidia GTX 280 GPU. The Radeon 4870x2 gave much better numbers. It is unresolved at this point what the hangup is with the GTX280, but IF I were buying a GPU for with that i7, I would get an ATI 48xx series.

In answer to your gaming question - it is all about price. The i7 920 (which has 4 cores and will hyper thread 2x per core for 8 virtual cores) will out perform a Phenom II X4. The 920 will likely overclock and still beat down AMD's Phenom II (this is a bit more controversial, but lets just say it should match or beat, I would put bets on it beating AMD's offerings, and the gap will improve as games use the additional cores better) When the total system price is considered, the i7 920 will cost about 100-250 more than the Phenom II. The CPU is higher, the Motherboard is higher, and the RAM will be higher. Also, if you are going to overclock, the i7 920 to my knowledge is not unlocked, so you will just have to dial up your BCLK instead of having control over the multiplier. AMD is much better at allowing purchase of processors with unlocked multipliers.

IF you can get a discount on the i7 or if you have the money to drop, it might get you a better result now, and it will likely be even better in the future as drivers etc are worked out when compared to the current AMD offerings.

I can't compare to the Core 2 Quads. I've read a lot, but not enough on this line.

**my real current debate is the i7 920 vs the Phenom II X3 720. ATM, I'm going for the more economically appealing option of the AMD - overall savings >$250. It will game the same today (depending on the GPU in each) and I'll worry about the future when the future gets here.
May 28, 2009 6:00:27 AM

i apprecite the feed back I can get i7920 and intel board through intel based training website for280 for both not bad deal though when u look at these regular price. I agree The amd PHen would be a good choice they always have been completly affordable vs intel. Thanks
May 28, 2009 6:19:08 AM

I wouldn't go for the Intel board since they can't overclock that well, or so I hear. Unless you don't need to overclock the i7. then go for it.
June 1, 2009 4:14:10 PM

How does 3.8 GHz at stock voltage and stock cooler sound?
June 1, 2009 4:15:41 PM

^ doubtful, and you'd be over 100C with a stock cooler and those specs.
June 1, 2009 4:27:35 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
^ doubtful, and you'd be over 100C with a stock cooler and those specs.

I'll second that
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
June 1, 2009 4:43:51 PM

The i7 920 is the second fastest (in terms of IPC) consumer CPU ever made, and has a longer lasting life then the Core2 line thanks to supporting 8 threads (as opposed to 4 for C2Q and 2 for C2D), so even though the chip isn't significantly faster then the Core2 line, it will outlast it by a significant margin.
!