Think I may have damage my Mobo

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
While installing my Xigmatek S1283 CPU Cooler on my CrossHair III MB w/Phenom 955........ I had trouble getting the 2nd retention bracket clip over the second tab/notch thingy and I forced it on with a tool that slid off onto a part of the Mobo that doesnt appear to have trace wires on this part but is a brown/orangish color I guess this is really hard to explain but I guess what I am wondering now.... Since I do not have my CD/DVD drive installed yet as I forgot to order it could I still just try to power on the PC without Keyboard/Monitor attached just to listen to for POST beeps to see if it is damaged or not?

Well, since the problem that may be at hand is your doing and not covered under warranty, I would say you have no choice but to power it up to test it.

Why not finish installing everything? It doesn't take that long to do and you will be able to start the OS installation if it post correctly.

You can't be too careful as you can see now...

Yes, you do not need drives, keyboard , or mouse to try to POST. If the computer gods smile upon you, you will hear the single short beep of a successful POST.

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Ok so I plugged it in with everything except Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/CD-ROM DRIVE and I got 1 short beep follow by what I first thought was 3 short beeps but then I reset to listen again and it's 1 short beep followed by 2 short beeps? Is my motherboard fine most likely I have been so worried about it

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Also my Mobo manual doesn't really explain what this is because it refers to it as

One short beep = VGA detected, Quick boot set to disabled, No keyboard detected
One continuous beep followed by two short beeps then a pause (repeated) = No memory detected
One continuous beep follow by three short beeps = No VGA detected
One continuous beep followed by four short beeps = Hardware component failure...

I guess this is where I am confused I only heard 1 short beep followed by two short beeps nothing was continuous I left it on for about a minute and it did not repeat or beep over and over again......