SSD

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
September 10, 2010 4:32:07 AM

Would an SSD hard drive improve performance of online games such as... World or Warcraft, Call of Duty, Warhammer? The reason i ask is because i just bought a new hard drive and its the slowest part of my whole system and i am trying to decide if its better to get an SSD or get another HDD to do raid. I know SSD is way better but since i do mostly online gaming if it doesnt improve it by much then it isnt worth the price.

More about : ssd

September 10, 2010 4:46:46 AM

I am buying a SSD for the exact same reason... and yes they do... but before you buy ure new ssd... may i ask... is ure current hdd ide or sata and if sata is it raid 0?

my sata drive was setup as and ide, i changed it to raid 0 and you can tell the difference...

but yes SSD is the way to go...

I am personally considering the OCZ vertex 2E 120gb
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 10, 2010 4:54:01 AM

The short answer is no. In WoW, eg, initial load speed will improve, zoning in will go a bit faster, and your PC will get to its maximum playability in, eg, Dalaran a bit quicker.

But for the most part, it won't help. Faster CPUs and GPUs will, until they are limited by your connection.
Related resources
September 10, 2010 5:03:59 AM

I have 1 single hard drive running in sata 3gb's but the hard drive is capable of 6gb's. So i might just buy another hard drive and get (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). The reason i would be getting that is to decrease my write and read time. The slowest part of my computer is the hard drive. As far as my raid 0 i was pretty sure you can only set that when you have (2) hard drives although i could be wrong. I am actually going to reboot my computer now and check it to see what it says to be certain.
m
l
September 10, 2010 5:06:54 AM

So twoboxer would i see more of an increase if i get another exact hard drive and move the hard drive transfer from 3gb/s to 6gb/s?
m
l
September 10, 2010 5:17:01 AM

if u keep ure hard drive and buy that card u posted from newegg it will increase ure hard drive performance but i dont think it would be as fast as a ssd but not sure...
m
l
September 10, 2010 5:24:55 AM

I dont think it will be either but i wouldnt be suprised if it was close. I did a bench mark on it and the hard drive in sata 3gb/s averages 120mbs/s with a 12.5ms latency timer. Which isnt terrible by any means but not great. If I bought that card from newegg and got another hard drive and ran it in raid 0 i pretty sure i could get close to 200mb/s and 6ms latency timer. I am going to run a few more bench marks to be certain. Either way if i decided to get a SSD i might wait it out till the get the 6gb/s speed ironed out which should be fairly soon.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 10, 2010 5:37:40 AM

Crazeycaleb said:
So twoboxer would i see more of an increase if i get another exact hard drive and move the hard drive transfer from 3gb/s to 6gb/s?
No. Disk speed increases will not improve your on-line gaming experience, except as I outlined above.

And putting the same disks on a faster path doesn't make them any faster. Finally, neither RAID nor SSDs currently fully utilize 3.0GB/s.
m
l
September 10, 2010 5:38:28 AM

the OCZ drive does 285/275 read/write with sata 3gb...
m
l
September 10, 2010 6:34:26 AM

Twoboxer said:
No. Disk speed increases will not improve your on-line gaming experience, except as I outlined above.

And putting the same disks on a faster path doesn't make them any faster. Finally, neither RAID nor SSDs currently fully utilize 3.0GB/s.

Thank you for pointing that out! I did check you are absolutely correct 3Gb/s comes to 380+MB/s
I'm a newb i dont deny it!
Does a ssd make the maps in games load faster eg in say counter-strike or make starcraft 2 load faster? do they just make load times quicker for gaming?
or is that a processor/graphics card issue?
m
l
a b G Storage
September 10, 2010 6:39:37 AM

Heh heh. I know you want to find a way for RAID or SSDs or new SATA to improve your gaming in a meaningful way.

It won't.
m
l
September 10, 2010 6:57:30 AM

But it will improve your load time and your overall benchmarks if you go raid or SSD. I am thinking SSD is the way to go. They last longer, they are faster, they run cooler, and they are quiet. So all in all not a bad deal. Sad part is the price is up there quiet a bit. Although i have a feeling they are going to drop real real soon. I was looking on newegg and tigerdirect and a couple other sites and they all seem to be offering a Mail In Rebate as well as a instant rebate. They must know something is going to come soon so they are reducing their stocks. Any comment?
m
l
a b G Storage
September 10, 2010 7:06:33 AM

Crazeycaleb said:
Would an SSD hard drive improve performance of online games such as... World or Warcraft, Call of Duty, Warhammer? The reason i ask is because i just bought a new hard drive and its the slowest part of my whole system and i am trying to decide if its better to get an SSD or get another HDD to do raid. I know SSD is way better but since i do mostly online gaming if it doesnt improve it by much then it isnt worth the price.
In case you forgot, this was your original question.

Geez, if you want the dang things just go buy them lol.
m
l
September 10, 2010 7:11:20 AM

I know but i had to see if it was going to improve online gaming. In the mean time while we chatted back and for i did about 3 hours of research and figured out it would be about the same price to do raid 0 as it would be to get 1 ssd. So its best to do 1 ssd and have the HHD for a storage drive. Now the task is how much money i want to spend or better yet what size do i need for a few of the games i have + the operating system.
m
l
September 10, 2010 7:13:02 AM

Best answer selected by Crazeycaleb.
m
l
!