Are mobile CPUs better at overclocking?

UltraO

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
This is what I am wondering. Are the mobile CPUs better at overclocking? Mobile CPUs uses less energy than desktop, right? In that case they must be using lower voltages, which should allow more overclocking, as you can add more voltage without hurting it. Is this true?

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
It'd be inpractical to make a custom case just for an overclock to the speed of a desktop cpu. So then, you should keep it in the laptop case. But then, it can't OC because it's already at the max safe temperature. So if you still want to OC, you'll have to take it out and run it on your desk. Which is completely unpractical, since you can get a nice desktop for much less.

zightbaoe

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
NO. Desktop can get more airflow making it more overclockable. Unless your buying a highend laptop ment for overclocking desktops are almost always better. They are desighned to be overclocked more also.

G

Laptop CPU's have low voltages for energy efficiency, so the CPU doesn't run as hot so you can use it on your desk or your lap or what have you without much worry of overheating. Laptop CPU's still get very hot simply because of the extremely tight space and lack of airflow (and if your laptop has a bottom intake fan then God help you). If your laptop even had unlocked multipliers and voltages, it would be unwise to overclock it. It would simply run much too hot.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

I wouldn't say high end laptops are better at overclocking. If you overclock anything in a laptop the heat will just fry everything inside. Even at stock speeds, the cpu and gpu is already generating so much heat you can even feel it on your hands.

The cpus on laptop are built for efficiency, not power hungry, so they probably wont even overclock. Also the mobo is a big issue. Most laptops are designed for power efficiency and overclocking requires the mobo to be able to efficiently deliver high voltages and they are not designed for that in mind when you have desktops for that. MOSFET's will fry and put your laptop in a grave.

mike1996

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
a mobile laptop cpu are basically under clocked desktop cpus and they do this for a reason because you dont want a 80 degree Cecilius item on your lap so yes you could overclock the crap out of it but its lower volt to increase battery life and decrease temp and there is a much smaller heat sink on them which means there going to heat up fast

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

No you cannot overclock laptop versions of cpu much. It is limited by the power supply in how many watts and voltage it can supply, and 2, the motherboard cannot handle those overclock settings as a desktop can. Simply they are not designed for that purpose.

TeamSupreme

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Mobile Cpus are generally terrible for over clocking. Designed for being in a mobile environment, these chips are not designed for over clocking and generally have a crappy cooler when used in a laptop or something, often times then can tolerate more heat, although.

mike1996

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

what i was trying to get at was it would be good for overclocking if you took it out and put it in a desktop environment which would eliminate the purpose

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Then what is the point of buying the laptop if you take it out to overclock? Also you don't understand that there is a difference between mobile cpus and desktop cpus. If you take a look at both Intel and AMD, the desktop versions are different than laptop cpus. Laptop cpus are restricted soley for wattage because it was designed that way, hence they do not perform the same as desktop even at the same clocks with similar model.

Mobile cpus are like mobile gpus, they are capped in terms of performance and certainly its not a matter of underclocking, its the innate design that sets them apart.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
They don't overclock as well in a mobile/laptop environment. If you were to buy a QM67/77/87 Motherboard that would be a different story.

Next there are only a few mobile CPUs that are unlocked I believe. They are the i7 X00XM CPUs and they cost more to buy seperately and even in used states. You can find Engineering Samples for cheaper prices amd sometimes unlocked multipliers but you run the risk of getting one with missing extensions or damage. Then there is the issue of finding a way to mount a Desktop cooling air or water.

The only time taking a CPU out of a laptop makes sense is if your making an upgrade to the laptop CPU or your laptop is dead without warranty and you plan to use the CPU with a matching motherboard.

No they are not.

Mobile chips are selected from the least electrically leaky production samples. This keeps the power consumption low, but also limits the clock rates.

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

I think his question is more of a "What would happen if you did this?" Rather than "Should I do this for better performance?"

Which, IMHO, is a fair question. Simply for curiousity's sake, how well would a mobile CPU overclock if it was freed from the cramped insides of a laptop and given a juicy desktop CPU cooler? Of course, this is if the motherboard will allow it etc etc.