Replacement parts question

sanityvoid

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Hi guys. I have a question and I'm not 100% on the answer.

I have an aunt who I built a computer for. It uses an older AMD 939 socket set. As of right now there is a single core CPU in there. I recently upgraded my rig to an Intel system. I had the same AMD socket set 939 before the upgrade but with a dual core, better mobo and better ram.

So my question is, could I just pop in the Mobo, CPU and RAM into my aunt's PC? I used an OEM winXP cd from newegg and of course the hdd will be fine, but will windows give more errors or even boot? I know the driver's will need to be updated on the hdd/windows, but I don't want to hose her system and make it unstable in the process. Basically she has software installed that she don't have access to anymore (former company) and I don't want to do a complete format and reinstall.

Does that make sense? I think I explained it right but I'm not sure if you get my drift.

Any help would be great, thanks!!!

since they are both socket 939 the simplest option is to swap processors and leave her mb in her computer .
That should be trouble free . You could also add your RAM to help speed things up a bit too , but I'd do that after I had run it with the new processor .

it is possible to make a complete swap , but its a bit more complicated

The odds are about 50:50 that the complete motherboard swap will work. But to be really safe, check to see if the newer processor will work in her motherboard. Then swap just processor and memory.

Latest posts