Bonello

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I have a Reno GA-T671MG (Yes, OEM - run for cover) which I believe only supports a FSB clock of 200MHz (Quad-pumped up to 800, of course). Now I'm looking to upgrade my E4500 to an E8500 which has a FSB of 333MHz (again, pumped up to 1333). Now would this obvious deficit on the part of my motherboard strangle the CPU to death or am I working out the FSB speeds wrong? What are the implications of not having motherboard support for the CPU's FSB speed? I imagine I would need to look at upgrading my motherboard. I'd need the usual slots and ports, just with support for 1333MHz CPU FSB clock, right? Any motherboards you'd recommend?

On a slightly related topic, would I also need new memory to work most effectively with this higher FSB speed? I've read about 1:1 ratios but never seen any numbers to support the claims of increased performance. I currently have DDR2-5300 running so this 266MHz would rather be what?

I'd be very appreciative of any help.

Thanks,

Bonello

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
BUMP

Maybe someone could just let me know what effect running the processor at the slower bus speed would have?

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
That's a simple one. It would simply work slower.
Look, if i were you, I would look for a new motherboard too. Right now you can get good mobo's for decent prices, supporting fsb up to 400mhz! (1600 quadpumped). I've recently built a new pc using an E8400 cpu, so it's the same family as the one you're looking at. I combined it with an asus p5q pro mobo, which i consider as a good combo. It has an intel p45 chipset which is very effective. I really recommend doing that. Than you can use all ddr2 ram you want.