Best 1TB Hard drive

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Hi,I am looking for a high performance 1TB hard drive for gaming.Please don't suggest WD Cavair Black as it is very expensive in my region.Power consumption and noises are not a concern.Good booting time performance are also preferred.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hi Ramx

How high exactley is your budget on the drive? i have seen that seagate are doing a hybrid series of ssd drives not sure how good these are yet and do not know if they go as high as a terrabyte chances are they dont. look your other alternatives are you raptors and cheetahs obviousley, again cost wise might be a bit expensive. I would maybe just recommend a standered Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drive, dont know how you feel about that?

Otherwise if you have a very high budget i would recoomend the Seagate SAS drives 15 000 RPM.

Let me know what you think, and i will advise.

Kindest Regards Rob."

I'm guessing that your not in the US, ie "WD Blk - very expensive" This is diffenitly true of WD Black Sata 6 drive, as there is very little performance gain using it when compared to a much cheaper Sata II 1TB drive by either Seagate or Samsung.

I'm also guessing that a SSD is not in your budget. A 64 Gig -> 80 Gig SSD is not in your budget. A 64-> 80 gig SSD paired with a 1 TB HDD will cream ANY mechanical HDD, even the 10->15K RPM expensive HDD.

With limited funds, go with marco324's suggestion of two 500, or 640 Gig HDDs in a raid 0 setup. If budget is sligthly better, but less than springing for an SSD:
Two segate -12 drives in Raid 0. BUT when you set up the strip for 1/2 of the drive. This will be for your operating system and programs. This will improve the access time / performance considerably; However, while you gain performance, you lose 1/2 of the drive for usage. Then buy a 1TB drive for your files/data and to backup yor "C Drive".

Happy Hunting.

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Well,I am looking for a single 1TB HDD.I don't know much about raid and don't prefer multiple HDD unless they offer significantly better performance.I just need a std 1TB HDD which has the best performance among the lots.As I mentioned,my major concern is game loading times.My RAM is a decently performing Corsair XMS2 but the loading times are limited by HDD performance.

The choice should be between the Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 1TB and the Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB.. Get the cheapest one.. But don't expect a significant decrease in loading times unless ofcourse you'd be comparing against an age old PATA drive..

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

My current HDD is 320 GB WD Cavair Blue with 8MB Cache.I'm not satisfied with its performance.Alternative products from Hitachi,Seagate performs much better.I'm also willing to go for a 500GB HDD if it offers better performance than a 1TB one.I don't need much storage space [just for games].

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 1TB and the Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB are priced same at my nearest dealer.Which of these two HDDs has better performance? Even slight advantage counts.

Think the F3 edges out the Seagate drive. Below is an eval comparision. pointer is first pg, but can jump to "conclusion" and select which benchmarks to pay attention to.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/10/06/samsung-spinpoint-f3-1tb-review/1

marco324. I see we here reading the same review, but you beat me to the punch. While their conclusion supports your "like a .....roll" when compared to the Seagate I don't feel conclusion is totally supported by their benchmarks. Most users do not notice a difference when less that 10 %, and load times differences are the time to take one sip of java. For the Random 4K read/writes the Seagate beats the F3 (note Random generally more important than sequencial)
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/10/06/samsung-spinpoint-f3-1tb-review/7

My conclusion - Same Price, F3. If price difference more than 10% - get the lower price. (PS might want to check out user reviews to see if one seems more reliable than the other

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
the poster ramx said
Well,I am looking for a single 1TB HDD.I don't know much about raid and don't prefer multiple HDD unless they offer significantly better performance.I just need a std 1TB HDD which has the best performance among the lots.As I mentioned,my major concern is game loading times.My RAM is a decently performing Corsair XMS2 but the loading times are limited by HDD performance.

game loading times are better
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/10/06/samsung-spinpoint-f3-1tb-review/9
but seagate drives have been around a lot longer track record like you said either one will do as i originally suggesterd samsung seagate wd black faster more reliable drives

Current generation 500GB hard drives run with a single platter design.. 1TB hard drives have two 500GB platters for that matter.. Logically, the single platter design will be faster.. So if you have no such storage requirements, better go for a 500GB hard drive.. For that i'll recommend the Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 500 GB hard drive..

You have to pay extra for more reliability and stability.Becoz when your hardrive fails and u lose ur data then you will curse yourself.

In that case you should have opted for enterprise hard drive namely WD RE series.. As for the Caviar series, there are many people who have had bad experiences with them.. I have personnely encountered five such drives failing with my friends builds.. All mechanical drives are constructed almost the same way.. It gets down to luck for often.. Having said that, if you look at the real world scenarios, you would realize there is no point paying that much premium for the WD over the Samsung F3..

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Is the wester digital twice as reliable as the samsung? If so it then you are right it should be twice the price, this might even apply for an increase of 50% more reliable. However, if it is only 10% more reliable then it would be best for you to spend the money on buying two samsungs and putting them into a mirrored raid. You would increase your reliability by far and only spend the same amount.

Ref Newegg ( Nr = Nr respondants, * = Stars)
Samsung F3 Nr. 690 4/5 * - 83%, 1/2 * 12%
WD Blk Sata 3 Nr. 2589 4/5 * - 86 %, 1/2 * 10 %
WD Blk Sata 6 Nr. 359 4/5 * - 80 %, 1/2 * 12 %
Seagate -12 Nr. 859 4/5 * 65%, 1/2 * 30 % OUCH!

Based on this I would get the F3, as The data only shows a marginal increase in Possible quality. Noe:t neither has been around long enough to really say one over the other (ie 5 yrs) Seagate got into big trouble with it's -11, the -12 is better, but I would say still 3rd rate.

PS I bought a WD Blk 1 TB Sata 6 drive on the spur of the moment - GIVE ME Back the cost diff between it and the Samsung F3 (SATA II) and I would do it in a heart beat.

To the question reliability of single 500G platter drive to 2 x 500G platter drive, same make/model (except for size) - Yes the single platter will be more reliable.

Does that mean if you buy two 500 gig single platter drives and I buy a dual platter drive will yours last longer than mine - Heck, I might be Irish and you got up on the wronge side of the bed the day you bought yours.

Added:
In the past 2 years, I have bought 1 Seagate 1 TB drive (took a chance), One WD blk sata 6 1 TB drive (my Bad), and about 4 640 gig WD black (Love the WD bl 640's in raid0)
I also you to swear by seagate, untill the -11s came out.

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
My friend bought an F3 yesterday,he has a Cavair black 1TB too.We tested its performance.While copying a game image file[~7 GB],F3 capped ~100 mb/s & black @90 mb/s by Windows 7 explorer.It means f3 is ~10% faster.So I will go for f3 even if black's price is reduced. Thank you all...