Sign in with
Your question

To the veterans of Tom's Hardware: The Ultimate challenge.

Last response: in Storage
September 10, 2010 12:29:00 PM

To the awesome people in Toms Hadware and the vetarans who often visit and give advice, I've delayed in posting on online forums for a solution in problems, but the issue I'm having is annoying me to no end and I have searched all the forums to no end to find a solution.

I have a:

Asus P7p55de PRO Motherboard
Gskill Eco 4gb Ram kit
ASUS GTX460
Corsair HX520
ASUS Xonar Essence ST Sound Card
2 x Samsung hd502hj hard disks

Now I'm literally almost giving up hope in finding a solution to this and considering forking out money to buy complete new and expensive parts because the time and frustration I'm spending on this is killing me.

Main problem:

1. I originally purchased 1 Samsung HD502HJ and the burst speed I was getting in HDTune 4.6pro was abysmal, only 120mb/s which was way below my maximum speed and the potential of sata2.

I purchased another one and tested it and it came out with the same results.

When I tried on a friend's computer, he was getting burst speeds of 200mb/s consistently

I tried changing the video card to an ATI 4850, no difference

I tried taking one piece of ram out, no difference

I even went into the store and got my motherboard replaced with a new one, no difference

I went to update the bios, no difference

I tried putting the two hard disks into raid0, not only is the burst speed still shocking but the line graph is showing erratic spikes and performance is only 163.3mb/s and burst speed is still 138.6.

2. After updating the bios, my pci-e x1 network card is now having trouble receiving a signal from my router and is going at half the speed.

This is driving me crazy, should I just change the power supply, seeing its one of the only things I havent tested and try my luck? Theres no sign that its defective but it seems like the only thing I havent replaced. I've checked the mobo manual if there is any jumpers i can change to improve sata 2 performance, but i dont see any.

Seeing as this is a difficult question, I would appreciate any experts to give their opinion and advice on how to fix this. It will be much appreciated. Thank you!

September 10, 2010 1:43:09 PM

There are 4 Asus P7P55D-E which is yours?
http://www.asus.com/Search.aspx?SearchKey=P7P55D

Did you download the SATA drivers from ASUS? After clicking the above link and picking your mobo there is a download tab. Choice your OS and you will see drivers for SATA and chipset. You will need the latest version of both. Also update to the latest LAN drivers may fix your network card receiving signal. If you have not did these yet your running on generic or old drivers could be the problem.
September 10, 2010 1:49:44 PM

elbert said:
There are 4 Asus P7P55D-E which is yours?
http://www.asus.com/Search.aspx?SearchKey=P7P55D

Did you download the SATA drivers from ASUS? After clicking the above link and picking your mobo there is a download tab. Choice your OS and you will see drivers for SATA and chipset. You will need the latest version of both. Also update to the latest LAN drivers may fix your network card receiving signal. If you have not did these yet your running on generic or old drivers could be the problem.

Yes, I've downloaded the latest drivers for all of these but this did not solve the problem.

I have the PRO versoin

Could it be an issue with the PSU?
Related resources
September 10, 2010 2:01:37 PM

Aside from drivers and BIOS updates you could check some controller and drive settings.

In the BIOS: change the controller mode from AHCI to IDE (sometimes called something else, anyway, change it from AHCI to the other option, might be more than one) If its not in AHCI mode then try it in AHCI mode.

In Windows, go to the device manager, right click the drive and go to properties, on the policies tab (im in Win XP so it might be diff if you have vista or 7) and make sure that it is NOT optimized for quick removal. This option disables the use of the cache on the hdd.

Good luck.
September 10, 2010 2:02:21 PM

Its possible but most likely you would see stability issues such as crashing or your GPU wouldn't perform well. Being both drives work the same it should be software or SATA cable issue. Did you use your SATA cables when you tested the drive on your friends PC? Wanting to just rule out the cables as the cause.

You could try Intels driver update utility. This should detect any driver problems.
http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm

Sublifer has some good suggestions on the software front.
September 10, 2010 2:14:00 PM

I've tried a number of different SATA cables, three and on all the ports. No luck.

I'll try the link you gave me and let you know the results.

Since the psu is the only thing that i havent replaced, i can't see it being anything else unless the mobo model itself is trash.
a c 329 G Storage
September 10, 2010 4:29:29 PM

I posted a reply in your other thread
September 10, 2010 4:37:20 PM

Thanks, I've placed a reply. I'll try that tomorrow morning, its 12:30am here in Australia.

At this stage, unless i can find a software fix, it'll either be the mobo, ram, cpu, or psu.

Its definitely not the HD itself

It's definitely not the Video Card

It's highly unlikely to be the CPU

And considering the benchmark with one 2gb dimm and 1gb dimm is the same, I don't think its the ram. Unless changing the voltage or settings will make a difference?

The fact that I replaced the mobo makes it logically improbable that its the motherboard unless the batch that the store I got it from or the model all suffer from the same problem.

The only real way I can isolate it is to get a new psu and change the ram..... But I don't have either to test with. I wonder if there is any other ram config that might change things.
September 10, 2010 5:32:41 PM

Did you try my suggestions?

A storage problem like this is not going to be related to the video card/cpu/psu or ram. If its hardware then its got to be the drive, the cable, or the controller (built into the motherboard in this case) You have identical results with two hdd's and two motherboards. While it is unlikely that you would have the same problem in each, it is possible that there was a bad batch.
More than likely though it is a settings/config problem so I highly suggest you try what I posted above before continuing down the hardware path.

Good luck.
September 11, 2010 12:29:39 AM

sublifer said:
Did you try my suggestions?

A storage problem like this is not going to be related to the video card/cpu/psu or ram. If its hardware then its got to be the drive, the cable, or the controller (built into the motherboard in this case) You have identical results with two hdd's and two motherboards. While it is unlikely that you would have the same problem in each, it is possible that there was a bad batch.
More than likely though it is a settings/config problem so I highly suggest you try what I posted above before continuing down the hardware path.

Good luck.

Hi Sublifer, I'd like to try your recommendation but at this stage I've reinstalled windows 7 about 5 to 6 times already along with testing software, drivers, etc. I'm hesitant to go through that again since changing it from raid back to AHCI might take another format. What the hell, I'll do it again later tonight. I'm just wondering that because I have it in RAID0 now, is there a need to have it changed to AHCI or is there an option to?

Are you sure its not the ram? I'm considering messing around with the voltage to see if it makes any difference.
!