Closed Solved

Stupid question about DDR3-1333 compatibility

OK, so I have a homebuilt machine with an Intel DP45SG motherboard and 4GB of Patriot DDR3-1333 RAM. Recently, the motherboard burned out, and after a long fight with Intel over whose fault it was (you can guess how that turned out), suffice to say I am in the market for a different motherboard.

My question is: Will my existing DDR3-1333 RAM work in a motherboard that's only listed as supporting DDR3-1800/1600 (such as this one)? Or is my RAM going to have to be 1600 or higher?

I've heard that if your RAM is a higher clock speed than the board supports, the RAM will still work, just be slowed down by the board. I don't know if it works the other way around or not. Anyone who can enlighten me is much appreciated.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about stupid question ddr3 1333 compatibility
  1. What board are you considering?

Generally most motherboards will default the memory to DDR3 1066mhz. Boards that say 1800mhz/1600mhz support are referring to overclocked memory speeds.
  2. I was looking at the ASUS P5Q3 (specs here). Figured that if I have to get a new board, I might as well go for a slight upgrade while I'm at it. I just don't want to do that only to find that my existing RAM won't work at all.

Alternatively, I guess I could just choose another board that does list support for DDR3-1333, but thought at least having the capability for the higher speed might come in handy if/when I add more RAM.

That also begs the question: At some point in the future (assuming I can get the board issue to work out), if I was using my existing two sticks of DDR3-1333 and added two sticks of DDR3-1600, is that going to cause problems as well? Or am I better off just going with ALL 1333 memory or ALL 1600 memory?
  3. the ram will work at 1333 and it will work
  4. Best answer
    Usually, you would want matched memory. As for compatibility? Usually, boards list the maximum speed supported. I've never seen a board that supported DDR3-1600 but not DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1066 for example. You should be fine with the P5Q3.
  5. The mobo is good. Get a memory with same speed.
  6. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR3 RAM Motherboards Product