after xp pro upgrade, windows running too slow

May 10, 2004 2:51:03 AM

Hi all, I've just upgraded my computer from xp home edition to xp pro. After that the computer was super slow, and was using 100% cpu. I ran norton, spybot, and ad-aware which discovered tons of adware and other stuff in the computer. I deleted all of them and now the CPU is lower (15-30%) but the computer is still very slow. I was also having problems with the disk cleanup which would halt as soon as it started but I managed to solve that problem.
I have a 6 month old hp computer. I have over half the hard drive available, it has 2.6 ghz, and 1 gig of memory. Pentium 4 hyper-threading.
I also read that I should delete all the .tmp files but I'm not sure that is a good thing to do so I haven't done it. Most .tmp files are in the windows folder.
The problem is most noticeable when I move windows around; you can see it kind of jumping from one place to another instead of moving smoothly across the screen. Also, when I scroll inside a window it is very slow at it.
PLEASE let me know if you have any ideas on how to solve the problem. Thanks a lot.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 12:14:17 AM

Try cleaning out the Prefetch Folder. C:\Windows and do a Disk
Cleanup. Get rid of all your Temp
files and go to Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options and clean
out all the cookies and files.

!