after xp pro upgrade, windows running too slow

Hi all, I've just upgraded my computer from xp home edition to xp pro. After that the computer was super slow, and was using 100% cpu. I ran norton, spybot, and ad-aware which discovered tons of adware and other stuff in the computer. I deleted all of them and now the CPU is lower (15-30%) but the computer is still very slow. I was also having problems with the disk cleanup which would halt as soon as it started but I managed to solve that problem.
I have a 6 month old hp computer. I have over half the hard drive available, it has 2.6 ghz, and 1 gig of memory. Pentium 4 hyper-threading.
I also read that I should delete all the .tmp files but I'm not sure that is a good thing to do so I haven't done it. Most .tmp files are in the windows folder.
The problem is most noticeable when I move windows around; you can see it kind of jumping from one place to another instead of moving smoothly across the screen. Also, when I scroll inside a window it is very slow at it.
PLEASE let me know if you have any ideas on how to solve the problem. Thanks a lot.
1 answer Last reply
More about after upgrade windows running slow

    Try cleaning out the Prefetch Folder. C:\Windows and do a Disk
    Cleanup. Get rid of all your Temp
    files and go to Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options and clean
    out all the cookies and files.
    "fofylofy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I've just upgraded my computer from xp home edition to xp pro.
    After that the computer was super slow, and was using 100% cpu. I ran
    norton, spybot, and ad-aware which discovered tons of adware and other stuff
    in the computer. I deleted all of them and now the CPU is lower (15-30%)
    but the computer is still very slow. I was also having problems with the
    disk cleanup which would halt as soon as it started but I managed to solve
    that problem.
    > I have a 6 month old hp computer. I have over half the hard drive
    available, it has 2.6 ghz, and 1 gig of memory. Pentium 4 hyper-threading.
    > I also read that I should delete all the .tmp files but I'm not sure that
    is a good thing to do so I haven't done it. Most .tmp files are in the
    windows folder.
    > The problem is most noticeable when I move windows around; you can see it
    kind of jumping from one place to another instead of moving smoothly across
    the screen. Also, when I scroll inside a window it is very slow at it.
    > PLEASE let me know if you have any ideas on how to solve the problem.
    Thanks a lot.

Configuration Computers Windows XP