Best 478 cpu for overclocking

G

Hi! The object is my girlfriend's ancient pc which i would like to play around a little :)
The motherboard is abit sg-71, (socket 478) which unfortunately doesn't let me change the voltages.
There is only one module of 256mb ddr266 installed but as i am getting 2x512Mb ddr333 due to upgrading parents' pc, i started to consider buying a processor which i could play with. Currently the system is running on a Northwood Celeron 1.8 clocked to 2.5Ghz. It clocked more than 3ghz but as i couldn't raise the voltage it was unstable so i went back to a frequency at which computer would be 99% stable (remembering that a woman is going to work on this pc)

So - the question is - what processor should i look for? northwoods or prescotts, celerons or pentiums? As i checked on the net, pentiums are not so clockable as celerons, and prescott pentiums are running on very high temps. So is that correct that with standart coolings i could get a clocked northwood celeron 2.8ghz even more powerful than lets say prescott pentium 4 2.8ghz? i am not sure of this as there is a huge difference (128kb vs 1mb) of L2 caches.
and yeah, sorry for bad english :)

Edit: actually the first thing i should find out is should i be looking for cpus with lower FSB and higher multiplier or higher FSB and lower multiplier?

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I wouldn't know too much about overclocking celerons and pentiums....
But my guess would be that buying a pentium with a higher mult and lower fsb will give you more juice...
I don't know how much you'll be able to overclock it but it should be more powerful than the celerons...as I belive the celeron is actually a simplified cheaper vesion of the pentium architechture so it would be worse in performance at the same clock speeds and when you overclock the most you'll probably get is a match in performance to the pentium at being at stock.....so my answer (and it might be wrong...but seeing as no one answered your post) is buy a pentium....

G

thanks, that sounds logical :)
So at the moment i'm looking at Northbridge Pentiums with 400Mhz FSB

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
That's proably something I would go for in your position matains...
And the deal seams appealing....onnly 15 bucks! Nice find chris ;)

G

Shipping to Latvia should cost more than cpu itself :lol:
That's ok, i've already found where to buy them :)

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Oh wow, that's where you live? cool...
Did you learn english or did you move there knowing it already?
So wich one are you gonna get then? the 400mhz on or the 533Mhz one?

G

I've born in Latvia, and learning english (+ german or russian) is standard in our education system since the time we got out of USSR :)

The seller didn't specify the model, at the moment i only know that he has 3.0Ghz and 2.8Ghz s478 processors. Wayting for a reply from him :)

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Wow! cool, your grammer is very good...
I myself am from Ukraine and speak Russian.
I moved to the US 10 years ago and live here ever since...
and recently I started a small computer website with a few
guys from here (toms) so that's me....it's just that I was kinda
wondering why you stumbeled on the american
version of Toms to ask these questions...
Well I hope you get the right cpu you needed...post here if you
have any more questions or topics to talk about...

G

Thanks! :) I was also kinda surprised that someone in the USA knows what is Latvia :D

It turned out that local market is full of these processors, but the prices are a bit higher, a 3000 Pentium is about 30 in USD. So now what is left is to find the lowest price until sunday when i'll get the RAMs

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
oh yeah it is a bit more expensive...but that's how it is with a lot of stuff...
in Europe and Asia computer parts often cost more than in the states...
You should post your overclocking results here once you get the cpu...
I'm interested in how much power you'll be able to squeeze out of that guy...

4745454b

Titan
100% American here. I know what and where Latvia is. I also know its one of only 3 states that the soviets took over. Not all of us are dumb. I agree that getting a P4 with the highest possible multiplier is the way to go. I believe winter is coming as well so if you have a temp problem you could always try OCing it outside. Just keep the snow off of it. he he.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
haha...lol...I would like to try benching outside...the only thing is we don't get that much snow here in oregon...maybe for a couple of weeks out of the winter...but I'll keep in mind to try it out when it snows...