Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to enable TRIM in Raid mode - SSD not part of the RAID Array?

Last response: in Storage
September 10, 2010 4:22:40 PM

Hi all,

I have 3 Raid controllers in my motherboard. These are the ICH10R, Jmicron JMB36x, and the Marvell 9123. Totally I have 9 Sata ports. 6 of them belong to the P55 ICH10R, 2 of them (colored white) belong to the Marvell 9123, and the last 1 is for the Jmicron.

Currently I have 2 x 500GB Samsung F3 Spinpoints drives running in Raid 0 connected to ports 5/6 (which is part of the ICH10R) and I have 1 x Kingston SSDNow V Series 64gb installed in SATA port 0 (also part of the ICH10R).

Since I run Samsung Raid on the same Intel Raid Controller, does it also remove TRIM on my SSD which is part of the same controller (even though it is not setup as RAID)? I heard that TRIM is still supported in a RAID setup as long as the SSD is not part of the RAID array which is like my setup. Could anyone please confirm this?

On the other hand, the Marvell 9123 Controllers (SATA III) are so crappy in RAID and non-RAID (AHCI) and the performance of my Samsung F3s are literally halved compared to the ICH10R. The Jmicron sucks even more. Even my Kingston SSD in which is single, runs crappy with the Marvell controller. I don't have any choice but to go all ICH10R.

Lastly, I need an advice for an SSD purchase because I plan to return this Kingston SSD that I have.

Which would you prefer --

Intel x25-m

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or the

2 x Corsair F40 in Raid 0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know that I'll lose TRIM but that is fine since I'll just to the maintenance manually (by imaging, then secure erase, then restore image back to the SSD) from time to time. Also, I will be using my F3s to store data so TRIM is really not important as of now. Also the Corsair is going to be cheaper after rebate

I've heard good things about the SandForce controllers and I think I'll jump to the bandwagon.

Are there issues with the SF-1200 that you know of?

Thanks for your help!

Specs:

Core i7 870 @ stock
MSI P55-GD85 (BIOS 1.3)
2 x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 (XMP Enabled)
1 x Kingston SSDNow V 64gb (soon to be replaced)
2 x 500gb Samsung F3 Spinpoint (Raid 0)
Corsair 650TX
Mugen 2 Rev B
Sata Dvdrom

Best solution

a c 98 G Storage
September 11, 2010 3:14:33 AM

The Marvell controller are cr@p. I don't like the JMicron ones either.

With the new Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, v9.6, TRIM is supported in RAID, IF THE DRIVE IS NOT PART OF AN ARRAY.

Download it here, it's a self installing file, updated the chipset drivers.

Go for the Intel X25-M 80GB, prices are dropping. Else OCZ Vertex 2 100GB, if you can find one. Get a single, larger SSD, and stay away from RAIDing SSDs. It gets complicated how to get around the loss of TRIM. And RAIDing a SSD really doesn't benefit access times, they are already ultra fast!
September 12, 2010 10:31:43 PM

Hey foscooter,

thanks again for a very informative reply. I just installed 9.6 and now I sees my kingston SSD on the list. With the older version, it did not.

However, I have a few questions.

When I restart, I noticed the icon for RST has an exclamation point. Hovering over the system tray icon says that RST is not running. After a minute, then it will have a green check mark indicating that it is activated. Is that a normal delay?

With the earlier version of RST, after a reboot, I never see the exclamation point, just a green check mark right away.

The delay is a no biggie to me, I just want to make sure that I did not miss something.

Also, how would I know that TRIM is really working? Is there a STATUS anywhere that I could check?

I might wait for the next gen Intel SSDs coming this December, I'll just use this Kingston SSD for the meantime.

Thanks again.
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 13, 2010 2:03:31 AM

Quote:

Also, how would I know that TRIM is really working? Is there a STATUS anywhere that I could check?

In command prompt, as an admin run:
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If return is '0', then TRIM is enabled.

Note: AFAIK, this command only works on Win 7.

Quote:

I might wait for the next gen Intel SSDs coming this December, I'll just use this Kingston SSD for the meantime.

If you can wait, by all means do so. Knowing Intel, the next gen Intel SSD sould be awesome. After all, they were the only capable SSD worthy of consideration when SSDs start to come out.

Quote:
The Marvell controller are cr@p. I don't like the JMicron ones either.

+1
a b G Storage
September 13, 2010 2:28:12 AM

Running the command above doesn't tell you if TRIM is working, only if TRIM is enabled.
September 13, 2010 4:20:40 AM

hey thanks.

Yup, It is enabled. I just hope it is actually working.

BTW, I managed to solve my RTS problem (yellow question mark) by running services.msc >> look for Intel Rapid Storage Technology >> Change the startup type from Automatic (delay) to just plain Automatic. It worked. Now everytime I restart, the green check mark is enabled right away. :D 
September 13, 2010 2:44:32 PM

Hey you guys,

If I am not running in raid mode I dont need to update or install the RTS do I?
I will be using an SSD for the OS and an HDD for data.

I will be setting my BIOS to AHCS.
a c 98 G Storage
September 13, 2010 10:25:54 PM

to mark_K: I would, it is the latest drivers for the Intel X58 chipset, whether or not you are in RAID or not shouldn't matter.

Set SATA ports in BIOS to ACHI, if possible. ACHI is part of some newer Intel based boards, but some NVidia boards have the option, too. I see you have a Asus P6T (like me), so yeah!

to keplenk: Yeah! Anything else?
September 14, 2010 1:10:57 PM

Best answer selected by keplenk.
September 14, 2010 1:11:35 PM

foscooter said:
to mark_K: I would, it is the latest drivers for the Intel X58 chipset, whether or not you are in RAID or not shouldn't matter.

Set SATA ports in BIOS to ACHI, if possible. ACHI is part of some newer Intel based boards, but some NVidia boards have the option, too. I see you have a Asus P6T (like me), so yeah!

Everything is awesome right now. Thanks for your help.
September 14, 2010 2:36:30 PM

foscooter said:

Does ASUS supply this download for our P6T Deluxe or should I go to the link you provided above?
a c 98 G Storage
September 14, 2010 6:54:28 PM

Intel provided the update for the chipset drivers. That's where the link goes.
September 15, 2010 11:33:52 AM

To answer my own question:

ASUS does not supply this version of the update. Use the link above that foscooter listed above.

Thank for the link and info foscooter!

Mark
a c 98 G Storage
September 15, 2010 6:36:59 PM

GR8!

I should have said that Asus MAY eventually provide the updated driver, but the link goes to Intels' update.

Motherboard manufactures tend not to provide hardware driver updates, just the "critical" ones, if that.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 2, 2010 3:46:51 AM

I too have a Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Setting AHCI in BIOS will do a few things:

1. You will get a BSOD if you previously installed Windows using the IDE or RAID setting.

2. Setting to AHCI also negates ANY RAID feature, you will NOT be able to RAID0 those 2 SSDs as an example.

Okay, sorry if I replyed to the wrong dude.. I tryed to reply to the one regarding AHCI.
!