koji356303

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I just got all the parts and have put it together for the most part anyway, but for some reason when i turn on the power the lights will flicker and the cpu fan will move just a tad and then go off. i also took off the cpu fan at one point to see it i put it in the wrong way which i had, and then put it back on the right way. i was thinking that may be part of the problem but wasnt sure.

here are the parts

MB GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L 775 P45 RT
VGA BIOSTAR VA4653NH51 HD4650 RT
PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-550VX 550W RT 1
CPU INTEL|C2D E7400 2.8G 775 RT
MEM 2G|KST KVR800D2/2GR R

koji356303

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
update: ive been looking at posts with people having similar problems, and ive seen that mobo, cpu, ram and power supply all could be messing with it. i was thinking i could switch and swap the parts with the one im on currently to see whats working and whats not. unless that would cause further problems that is.

anyway as far as whats wrong with the computer, atm the cpu doesnt move like it did when i first posted, the lights still flash for a second, and i noticed when i messed with it last that when i would click the switch on the back of the power supply the light in my room of dim for just a moment.

Then try this:

Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU. Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to get this far.

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.

Did I read that correctly? You detached a 4-pin cable and plugged it into the CPU power plug? If that was the "+4" section of the 20+4 main power connector, STOP. Take that out, it doesn't go there. Hope nothing was fried.
That symptom suggests a short. The PSU powers on, then immediately shuts itself off. Disconnect everything not needed to post, including any and all drives. Try that way, just to get a POST. Then reconnect them one at a time (powered off, of course) to see if one of these components is the problem.

koji356303

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
thanks for the replys, i had someone take a look at it and it turns out i had a bad mobo.
and no, the power supply had the 20+4 power connector and and the 4 or 8 pin connector, and i had both of those in the right spots.