My USB 2.0 ports aren't working

ConnorBearse

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
They work when i plug in any USB device that only uses 1.0, but if i put in a firewire cable or a new USB storage device it says the "USB device not recognized" and its really starting to bug me.

any ideas of how to fix this? My bios are set for 2.0 and i don't know where to get any drivers.

if someone could point me in the right direction or something, it would be much appreciated.

ConnorBearse

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
it would be a

Intel® Desktop Board DQ965CO

I have the latest chipset, and bios.

In the bios the USB2.0 Option is enabled.
please help?

festerovic

Distinguished
Check the device manager of windows (assuming thats what you are using) to see if there is a device in the USB controllers that is listed with the words "Enhanced Controller". If that is not there, it won't ever use USB 2.0, only 1.1.

Are you using a USB hub? Is it 2.0?

I had a problem with a motherboard that said it had usb 2.0, but I could never get the drivers to work, much like what you are seeing. I just bought a $10 USB 2.0 card and haven't had any problems. It sucks to have the computer beat you, but sometimes it wins :)

ConnorBearse

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well in my device manager it lists 7 "USB Root hub"s and 2 "Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A"

and I am using Windows XP home edition, if that matters. And I am almost positive the devices i am plugging in that don't work arent USB 3.0.

And this USB 2.0 card is PCI or PCIe?