Sign in with
Your question

WinXp format error: disk is damaged

Last response: in Storage
September 10, 2010 10:27:19 PM

Hello, I'm trying to bring my old dell back to good usage because my PSU on my new computer went up in smoke. I've reinstalled XP, and everything was running fine up until I woke up the next morning and turned it on.

Apparently when installing windows updates one of my DLL files got corrupted forcing me to have t reformat windows XP again.

I boot from the disc and received no issues and began a "quick" reformat only to have it get stuck at 1% for about 3-4 hours.

I rebooted and tried it again and began getting a message that said something along the lines of, Disk is damaged, Check to make sure your NCSI is properly connected or terminated or something like that. I wish I could tell you the whole message but I can't even boot from the disc anymore.

Now I can't even get past the Boot menu, and I recieve the message

"Press any key to boot from CD.....Error loading Operating System"

What is wrong? I assumed since it said "disk is damaged" that it meant the hard disk. I think my partition is damaged but I want to make sure I'm right before I go spend money on a new hard drive. I'm not interested in a fix, I'd rather just buy a new HD. Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me out.

a b G Storage
September 10, 2010 10:48:54 PM

It is most likely that the Hard Drive is damaged. Take it to where you intend on buying a new hard drive and get them to test it if you want to be completely sure.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 10, 2010 11:58:28 PM

What is the exact model of this Dell PC?

The part of your sentence where it says "... make sure your NCSI is properly connected or terminated ..." indicates that the hard disk drive appears to be a SCSI (not NCSI as you've specified) hard disk drive. An SCSI bus requires proper impedance termination or you will get spurious signal reflections generated on the bus that wreak havoc with the SCSI devices attached to it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
September 11, 2010 12:11:42 AM

The Dell computer HDD may have originally been set up with a hidden partition at the front of the HDD that that it is not seeing. Are you using the Dell restore discs to install Windows XP, or a separate stand alone version of XP?

One thing you could do is attach the drive on a separate computer, and see if it will NTFS format with a single partition properly, If not, then it is a defective hard drive needing replacement.
m
l
September 11, 2010 4:51:52 AM

ko888 said:
What is the exact model of this Dell PC?

The part of your sentence where it says "... make sure your NCSI is properly connected or terminated ..." indicates that the hard disk drive appears to be a SCSI (not NCSI as you've specified) hard disk drive. An SCSI bus requires proper impedance termination or you will get spurious signal reflections generated on the bus that wreak havoc with the SCSI devices attached to it.

It is a Dell Dimension 8300. And I'm could have sworn it said NCSI. I checked it multiple times. Maybe I just confused myself, but I'm 99% sure it said NCSI.

And for the poster above, the disc just simply says Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 from Dell.
m
l
September 11, 2010 4:55:48 AM

One thing you could do is attach the drive on a separate computer, and see if it will NTFS format with a single partition properly, If not, then it is a defective hard drive needing replacement.[/quotemsg said:

The problem with that is I have no other computer. I only resorted to using the dell because my PSU in my main computer went up in smoke a few days ago.

I mean it basically tells me "disk is damaged" so it must mean the hard drive? It's almost 7 years old so that wouldn't surprise me.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 11, 2010 6:21:05 AM

The earlier versions of the Dell Dimension 8300 came with a PATA hard disk drive. The later versions came with a SATA hard disk drive.

Is the hard disk drive properly detected in the BIOS Setup? If the settings are incorrect for the hard disk drive that will lead to problems.

Maybe the battery cell died and the CMOS contents were lost and some incorrect default settings got loaded.
m
l
!