Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Antec Cyclone Blower fan

Last response: in Overclocking
September 23, 2010 5:38:31 PM

Sorry, this isn't really related to overclocking but I couldn't find a Cooling category.

I'm re-building a system, new motherboard is a GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 3.3) with a AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0 GHz 2x1 MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core CPU. I'm reusing the existing GPU, a PNY Geforce FX5200 256MB PCI Graphics Card. Also reusing the existing case, a HP a1712n. System will be for light applications and Internet. No gaming or video editing, etc.

This case also has an existing Antec Cyclone Blower fan which mounts over one of the PCI slots. If I mount the blower above the card it will be right below the Northbridge on the board.

Will this be effective in dispersing heat from the NB and also from the video card? Video card doesn't have a fan, just a passive heatsink which would be below the Antec blower. Here a couple of screen shots that hopefully help explain what I'm planning to do. I know this won't be a quiet solution, just looking for keeping case temps down.

TIA for any suggestions

September 24, 2010 12:21:11 AM

i think its supposed to go on to a pci slot . so try the one under your vga slot. i have a friend using this , he mounts it under vga
m
l
September 24, 2010 1:33:44 AM

sashika said:
i think its supposed to go on to a pci slot . so try the one under your vga slot. i have a friend using this , he mounts it under vga

I think it can go anywhere on the back panel where there is an available expansion slot. It does not mount onto the PCI header. If I moved it under the VGA it would be closer to the passive heatsink on the card and should suck heat away and out the vent. I was just hoping that mounted above the card it would still help the VGA but also help disperse the heat from the Northbridge on the MB.
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2010 10:07:56 AM

yeah that will be a good idea . well doesnt it fit through the back panel ?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 1:54:24 PM

Take out the ancient PCI video card. Your onboard video outperforms it by a considerable amount (five tiers on the GPU hierarchy chart).
September 24, 2010 10:42:20 PM

Onus said:
Take out the ancient PCI video card. Your onboard video outperforms it by a considerable amount (five tiers on the GPU hierarchy chart).

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a good idea. If my friend wants to upgrade to a discreet video card after I give him this rebuild that's his choice. For his purposes the onboard ATI HD 4200 should work fine. Should also keep the case temps down a bit by not having the VGA card. Only concern is if the 2 GB of RAM are going to be enough running W7 and sharing memory for the onboard video.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2010 2:09:56 AM

Does it have Sideport RAM for video? I couldn't tell from the Newegg listing for it. Perhaps you can see if your friend will go for either another 2GB of RAM, or perhaps a discrete card; with no gaming, a HD5450 or HD5550 would do.
m
l
September 25, 2010 3:27:02 AM

Onus said:
Does it have Sideport RAM for video? I couldn't tell from the Newegg listing for it.

Checking the manual for the motherboard this feature is only available in the GA-MA785GPM-UD2H, not the GA-MA785GM-US2H.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2010 3:44:17 AM

It still will give decent performance. I used 2GB DDR2 with the integrated 3200 and it was quite bearable (and better than that PCI card), especially in older games.
m
l
September 25, 2010 4:09:13 AM

OK, thanks to all for the information. I'm going to go with the onboard graphics and let my friend decide if he wants to upgrade. The cards listed by jtt283 run about $50 - $60 and I'm not sure he'll want to pop for that now. Easy enough to add later.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2010 12:00:11 PM

Good deal. Have fun.
m
l
October 2, 2010 2:09:02 AM

Best answer selected by highcountryrider.
m
l
!