j_rich

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
I was having problems getting windows to load, but I was able to boot my old harddrive in safe mode and load the video card drivers. That helped get Windows up and running in normal mode. However, the PC keeps shutting down after about 10 mins in windows. I was trying to run memtest but it shutdown in the middle of that too. Is this a indication of bad ram or could it be something else. Here is what I am working with.

Motherboard: DFI LanParty DKT2R
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
RAM: 2 GB PNY XLR8 DDR2 PC26400
Video Card: BFG GeForce GTX 260 MaxCore

I did my first build a few years ago and this is my first since then so I am a noob. Please help.

j_rich

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
It is an old installation of windows. I couldn't get through a new install on a new harddrive. It would freeze when you get to the screen where it asks if you want to do a new install or repair an old one.

j_rich

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
No. It was a good disc. So far so good. The fan and heat sink were a little loose. I pushed them down and now it seems to be running pretty well. But I was having problems installing the fan. One of the brackets keeps coming loose. Is there any way to get a new one?

j_rich

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
Cool thanks. So I got it to run stable with these, but I also have another 2GB stick of RAM, a Harddrive and a wireless lan card. I tried all of them at once and each one individually, but windows freezes on load every time.

j_rich

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
Resetting the RAM settings worked, and I set the proper boot order for the HD so now both will work. The wireless internet card I have just won't work, Windows freezes on load whenever I install the card.