First time OCer phenom II x4 945

xcel_jkl

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hi guys i just equipped myself with some brand new hardware and would like to venture into the realm of overclocking.

Here are my relevant specs:
Amd phenom II x4 945
Coolermaster hyper 212+
Thermaltake v4 case, w/ silverstone fm121 intake fan
msi 870-g45, amd770 chipset, has OC Genie feature
2x 2gb kingston valueram ddr3 1333mhz
Silverstone st50f-es 80+ 500w psu
Leadtek 9600gt 512mb
1tb samsung hdd
Win7 64bit

My idle load temp hovers at around 26C while at load i hover around 32C.

Im excited and want to push this baby further. I would like to ask for steps into the right direction with this.

Thanks

ScoobyJooby-Jew

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I can tell you how I OC'ed mine. But I don't think I did it the proper way. In BIOS, disable cool and quiet, c1e support, and, I wasn't sure if I had to disable virtualization, but I did just for the heck of it. I then upped the FSB by 5. Saved and rebooted. Loaded into windows, and ran a stress test for about 5 minutes. If errors occurred, or the system freaked and crashed/rebooted, I would then up the CPU voltage in increments of .025v. Also, I had to downclock my memory so it stayed in advertised speeds. Repeat until you get as high as you want/can go. If you search "AMD Overclockers club" theres a chart with various overclocks and settings. I wouldn't just randomly throw someone else's settings, as every chip is different. But it can give you an idea.

xcel_jkl

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Appreciate the advice but i need to know the basics first.

For eg, why do i need go to increase the voltage as the fsb goes higher? And how should the memory settings be affected?

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
You only need to increase the voltage if you have stability issues and even then do it in small doses.

I suggest you google it and find what other people used and what speeds they reached then start out at a reasonable overclock and experiment to see what you can push your mb/cpu too. The motherboard/chipset will also affect your oc room.

Here is a rough starting position for 3,750 mhz. Bear in mind each chip is different this may or may not work for you. Try not to go higher then 1.5v for cpu vid.
Motherboards label these different things too so use some common sense :)

FSB: 250 MHZ
Multiplier: x15
CPU VID: 1.475v
CPU NB: 1.2v
HT: 8x
HT Link: 2250 MHZ
NB: 2500 MHZ