Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

930 at 4.2 on air

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 24, 2010 1:43:31 AM

System Specs and voltages:
i7 930, 2.8
overclocked to 4.2
settings 200 x 21

Vcore 1.352

ASUS P6x58D-E (bios 1.08)
QPI Link 7100
QPI/DRAM volt 1.35

UCLK 2400

PCIe 108

Corsair (2x3G) 9,9,9,24 1600
Frequency 1200
DRAM Volt 1.64

everything else is at Auto.

Sapphire 5770
Seagate 1TB 7200 32MB
Corsair 850W
Master Cooler 310A case

Thermalight 120 eXtreme Rev C push/pull, w/1900RPM fans



temp at idle is 37C or 3C over case ambiant

I have held this speed for three days now. On this OC I decided to "what do I really want out of this?"

A very, very fast system that can do the things I want to on....play startcraft, video editing, audio editing (different programs) MS Office, browsing the Web.

I also ran WEI and got some really high scores and 3dMark. In all, nothing brought the high temps over 50C.

So I know I can't say that this build is stable on Prime95 at such, and such a temp, but it does do what I want it to do, and I keep my eye on the temps, and it does do what I want it to do, and very quickly too.

It booted into 4.2 so easily that in a couple of days I might try 4.3. Eventually I will prime95 it and either it will pass and I will be really ecstatic, or it won't and then I will be bummed and may feel like I need to tune it down. But for now it is all systems go.

More about : 930 air

a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 2:23:40 AM

Quote:
ASUS P6x58D-E (bios 1.08)
QPI Link 7100
QPI/DRAM volt 1.35

UCLK 2400

PCIe 108

ALWAYS lock the PCIe at 100. Not a bad OC esp. on air. Btw, what's the VID on that CPU?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 24, 2010 3:04:45 AM

Shadow,

I found this great article on the ASUS forum, I think might be by an ASUS empoyee:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6...

His take was that a slight bump in PCIe might bring added stability, if I read this right

Anyway, I got my idea for all the settings there and it worked first try. There is a lot of information in it; Frequency Equivalents, the fact that you can not get to the memory multiplier directly in ASUS bios, and sections integrating different settings for different results. If you have a chance I would recommend it, highly.

I will need to get back to you on the VID. The processor itself is a DO revision.
m
0
l
September 24, 2010 3:10:23 AM

MARSOC_Operator said:
Which fans do you have?


The fans on the 120 are KAZE-JYUNI, 1900RPM moving 110 CFM.

They are 37 dba, not quite, but not too loud as they sit in the middle of the case.

The case fans (pull) are S-FLEX 1600, 64CFM 28dba. I have one in the back and one in the lower front. I also have a side mounted 80MM (push) of non-descript origin. The case is a Master Cooler 310A, kind of small, and the PS in a Corsair 850W
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 3:54:53 PM

jerryl said:
Shadow,

I found this great article on the ASUS forum, I think might be by an ASUS empoyee:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6...

His take was that a slight bump in PCIe might bring added stability, if I read this right

Anyway, I got my idea for all the settings there and it worked first try. There is a lot of information in it; Frequency Equivalents, the fact that you can not get to the memory multiplier directly in ASUS bios, and sections integrating different settings for different results. If you have a chance I would recommend it, highly.

I will need to get back to you on the VID. The processor itself is a DO revision.

From the link you gave:
Quote:
PCIE Frequency [100] (locks the PCIE frequency)

Tweaking in the range of 100-110 may be necessary.

It tells you to lock at 100. The people who need to push more than a 100 on PCIe are usually people doing LN2 runs,etc. Most people will tell you to lock the PCIe at 100. Also, what are you using for checking temps? Use RealTemp.
m
0
l
September 25, 2010 5:12:24 AM

I read it differently....oh well, not that it matters much, it seems to like 108.

RealTemp reports 78C on Prime95. (well 76 - 79 depending on the core, but it only hit 79 for a few moments)

I think I will try for 4.4 soon. I don't know if I will Prime that one or not. If I can get it to boot and run the apps I do at a low enough temp, I might just leave it as is. Afterall, I don't run anything that works the processor like Prime95. Starcraft II is the closest and from what I read, that game, while wanting lots of CPU, doesn't work a quad fully.
m
0
l
September 25, 2010 5:18:25 AM

hmmmmm, I wonder if this works....



CPUID Validation....
m
0
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2010 2:45:25 PM

Woahh!!!! Pause. Your load temps are WAY too high if they are hitting 79C.
Intel says the Tc as 68C. Basically Tc is proximately Core temp - 10C. So you are getting pretty damn close to the max temp for that CPU.
Share
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2010 4:07:49 PM

jerryl said:
hmmmmm, I wonder if this works....

]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1405959.png

CPUID Validation....

I'd love to see a screen shot of 10 minutes Prime95 blend or large FFT w/cpu-z and realtemp open.....temps just seem lower than they should be on air w/4.2 Ghz.
m
0
l
September 25, 2010 4:23:28 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Woahh!!!! Pause. Your load temps are WAY too high if they are hitting 79C.
Intel says the Tc as 68C. Basically Tc is proximately Core temp - 10C. So you are getting pretty damn close to the max temp for that CPU.


You are right. I am done.

I wasn't even going to prime/temp it as I don't use apps like prime95, so I don't really care what the Prime temp is. But I thought, since it is the standard, I'd do it.

The hottest app I have is Star Craft II, and from what I can tell it is running 60C or slightly more.

I also do some video editing, but not rendering, and some audio work, mainly disk. Other than that I browse the web and work with Office.

I know that 4.2 is probably over the top for these apps, but I just really wanted a fast computer, and it was fun getting here. But future OC...I don't think so, leastwise not on this rig in this configuration.
m
0
l
September 25, 2010 4:25:00 PM

Best answer selected by jerryl.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2010 7:39:30 PM

Quote:
I know that 4.2 is probably over the top for these apps, but I just really wanted a fast computer, and it was fun getting here. But future OC...I don't think so, leastwise not on this rig in this configuration.

Yeah, it's an overkill. For every day use, 3.6-4Ghz is more than enough.
m
0
l
!