Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Concerned About High Temps with i7 950

Last response: in Overclocking
September 24, 2010 2:51:43 AM

Hello,

Just completed a new build, Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R with an i7 950 and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with Arctic Silver.

I am new to OCing and reading through the guide found here:

http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core...

I have my Qpi/VTT set a 1.375 and my IOH at 1.3v, all else are stock voltages.

My Bclock is set to 160, my cpu multiplier is set to 18x (Running at 2880), Memory is 2:8 @ 640MHz DRAM (Mushkin Redlines) Uncore is 2:1 to Dram (16x) and QPi is default.

I seem to be running 45-52 c idle, and when I run prime95 I get up to 86c.

I just took off my cooler, removed all thermal paste, and re-applied. I did have ALOT of thermal paste on there so I did a better job of re-applying it this time thinking that would help but it did not it maybe helped 2c max.

Can anyone offer any advice? Would love to ultimately get this over 4ghz with my Hyper212 which should be very possible, but not with these temps.

Thanks in advance.
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 3:12:02 AM

TheMike1 said:
Can anyone offer any advice? Would love to ultimately get this over 4ghz with my Hyper212 which should be very possible, but not with these temps.

The 212+ is a great budget cooler, but NOT for an overclocked i7 processor. If you want to run 4-4.2 Ghz your going to need a better cooler.

It also sounds like you left your vcore on AUTO, it's much better to manually set it, your Bios will tend to over volt things left on auto when you overclock.
September 24, 2010 3:17:30 AM

what else do you have in there? GPU? What is the case ambient?

That might affect it some. Certainly setting the vcore is a good idea too. 2880? I am not sure, but is that even the stock for the 950? I thought the 950 was like 3.1 or so....
Related resources
September 24, 2010 3:17:57 AM

Ok, 160bclck should get me to 3.84 which I would be happy with, would a Hyper212 be sufficient in your opinion?

Core Voltage according to CPU-Z is 1.376v, does this seem too high for you?

Do my temperature not seem a little high? I appreciate your input that I need a different cooler to approach the 4ghz+ range, but I am no where near that right now and my temps are high.

I tried laying the computer on the side and there was no change in temp, CoreTemp and Real Temp have almost identical temperatures. I have excellent airflow in my case (I think :D  ) Do my temps seem high for my current settings?

One thing I am thinking of is how should the fan be attached on the Hyper212? I attached it as default and it is on the side of my memory with the air blowing back through the metal air ducts and out my exhaust fan in the back. Is this correct or should it be on the opposite side so it does not blow through the metal ducts?

Thanks!
September 24, 2010 3:19:40 AM

jerryl said:
what else do you have in there? GPU? What is the case ambient?

That might affect it some. Certainly setting the vcore is a good idea too. 2880? I am not sure, but is that even the stock for the 950? I thought the 950 was like 3.1 or so....

GPU is a GTX470 1.2 (Galaxy 70XKH3HS8GUX GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card). I am not sure what the case is ambient, is there a way to tell that? I would guess its roughly 22c in my room...

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2010 3:27:34 AM

YES, that voltage is high for your OC. Try lowering it and test or start from the bottom and work your way up only increasing it as needed.

Fan is fine. If you have another one hanging around you may want to add that too, it will help a little, but not much. The 212+ is just not capable of removing enough heat fast enough for an overclocked i7.
September 24, 2010 3:32:56 AM

RJR said:
YES, that voltage is high for your OC. Try lowering it and test or start from the bottom and work your way up only increasing it as needed.

Fan is fine. If you have another one hanging around you may want to add that too, it will help a little, but not much. The 212+ is just not capable of removing enough heat fast enough for an overclocked i7.

Ok, Im happy to buy another one, any you personally recommend?
September 24, 2010 3:48:04 AM

That voltage is super high. Way high. I am running 1.35 on a 930 @ 4.2, with a BCLK of 200.

I whole heartedily recommend the thermalight 120 Extreme.
September 24, 2010 4:10:06 AM

jerryl said:
That voltage is super high. Way high. I am running 1.35 on a 930 @ 4.2, with a BCLK of 200.

I whole heartedily recommend the thermalight 120 Extreme.

Yes, I brought it wayyy down and am now stair stepping back up with blck and voltage. Hoping to get to 3.84 with 1.25 and my temps should be in the 70s at load which Im fine with. I might pull the trigger on a new cooler if I get the itch. I will check out the one you are recommending.
September 24, 2010 4:10:35 AM

Best answer selected by TheMike1.
!