Power supply power cable HOTT!?

uRSALOG

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
hello im asking is there somethign wrong with my psu? i reached around to see my cables and i found the psu's power cable to be VERY hot. i touched my other psu's cable and it was not hot like the one inside my case. any ideas?

uRSALOG

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
yeah i dunno imma try a different, cable, i got an extra one lying around, maybe theres some resistance inside it causing it to heat up.. i dont know, well maybe someo ne will post who might have had the same problem

uRSALOG

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
well i mean its brand spanking new, and the psu isnt hot to the touch at all, its just the cable. lol and thats not always the case, my 580 watt blew up on me :p and my motherboard is still going strong

uRSALOG

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
what about the lil switch in the back? the stting 110v or 115v could that be it? i have my 650 set to 115 and its cool the case psu is set to 110v O,o

edit: nvm looked the the seitch and its 110v and 220v on the 575w 115v and 230v on the 650w

uRSALOG

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
changed out the cable and it still seems kinda warm /sigh guess ill have to wait a while to see if it get alarmingly hot like the last one

uRSALOG

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
no i mean i checked the cable all the way down to the surge protector, hot all the way down, and getting all soft lol wiggly the rubber was getting all soft from the heat ><. this different cable i just put in feels slightly warm but not hot yet gonna keep runing the computer to see, but the thing that is odd is i have a different power supply and the cord is ice cold so i dont know what could be causing the 575w's cord to warm

That's irrelevant. One mfg. chose to label the switch 110-220; the other, 115-230. They both have the same type of input circuits.

uRSALOG

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
well i got medium good news lol this second cord i used is warm to the touch but its not soft and wiggly or scalding hot so i guess im in the clear for the time being lol. r2 cord o/c/g :p

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

About months ago, I bought those of those Logysis 575 watts when they were on sale at Newegg w/free shipping. The power supply itself is okay but both of the cords that came in the box are cheap and both burnt up and failed, stopped working. I stripped both of them and found that the copper lines were like a hair strand, ridiculously thin for a power supply. The insulation was cheap too. Anyways, I replaced the cords and everything with the PSUs are okay.

uRSALOG

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
well that psu quit on me about 4 months ago lol but the pc is fine still got 2 more on it lol overkill, got a new rig now so thats on the backcurner but the old pc is still running great. new pc is a i7 920 oc water cooled sexyness no issues cept for my severe disappointment in my new ati graphics cards

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A hot power supply cord means unreasonably high heat generation somewhere, but not necessarily in the PSU it feeds.

IF the heat is all on one location there is a wire or contact failure developing. By far the most common form of this is a very warm end connector - either the plug into the wall, or the connector that pushes into the back of the PSU. In either of those cases, there are two possibilities. One is that one of the blade contacts is dirty or loose and making poor contact. If it's simply dirty you may be able to fix by cleaning it off with emery cloth. But if it's a poor contact inside a socket that has lost its springiness, if can be hard to rejuvenate that. You might have to replace the socket or the cord that has the female connector molded onto the end. The other possible cause of a hot end connector is that the wire inside the connector is damaged and making a poor connection internally to the blade or other contact. For this you either can replace the fitting on the cord end or replace the whole cord.

If there is an isolated hot spot somewhere along the cord length but not at the end connector, there likely is a damaged wire inside in that area. You choices are to cut out the suspect area and re-splice the two pieces back together, or replace the whole cord.

In OP's case, which should be unusual, the entire cord is hot. This indicates a cord that is severely undersized for its load - the wires inside are too small. The only solution will be to replace with a cord rated for the load. In this case, OP has a 575 W PSU so, allowing for efficiency, it could pull up to 750 Wats from the wall, which is around 6.5 amps. The cord should be rated for at least 800 Watts or 10 amps to give a good safety margin.

It is unlikely that OP's problem is a faulty PSU. For that to produce an overloaded supply cord the PSU would have to be pulling MUCH more power that designed, and that is likely to have produced many other malfunction symptoms. The more plausible explanation is that the PSU came with an unsuitable supply cord that needs replacement.

what card is the ATI, if it is a high end card it could be that it isn't getting enough power as logisys is not exactly the best brand
actually i put it in the same league as Apevia, which is not good (ie these brands tend to be over rated, and die at high loads)