Video Card Compatability W/Mother Board

brians_ready2

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I do not know what makes a video card compatible with a desktop build. I have an Abit LG-95Z MB w/ PCI-E x16. Boards loaded W/ Core2 duo E4700 2.6GHz and 2GB DDR2 PC2100 533MHz Ram. With my build having now been maxed at that end, Now i'm ready for graphics. The monitor is a LCD flt screen 22" with the max 1680 x 1055 @ 60 Hg. Ready to put this thing together so please explain your thoughts????

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
What PSU do you have? I would recommend a HD 4870 or GTX 260 or better for that size of screen, but that isn't going to be possible if your PSU is a no name brand 400w PSU. Also what are your primary uses, what do you need the graphics power for? FPS? MMO? RTS? All these have different graphics requirements and depending on what you do the recommendation will change.

brians_ready2

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009

Now were talkin. I have no idea what MMO or RTS means. I can say that on the MB support site, Abit gave the listed supported processors and in all their configurations. Because this MB supports Dual Channel, I wanted my first and chose the Core2 Duo. Abit said the highest supported (being the highest GHz.), The Intel Core2 Duo E4700 Q5UX ES 2.6GHz 800MHz FBS 2M processor fit the top shelf and supports everything (hyperthread techn... ect. ect.).
The ram was just as scrutinized prior to its purchase to match the MB and processor specs. Believe me, I spared no expense and this is why it has taken me so long to build. Carefully chosen the Window Case and bought a different Power Supply (580W), DVD burner ect., ect.. Came time that I actually could upgrade my CRT (as the monitor I'll be using), to a true Flat came and that monitor is what I wanted. It grabbed me. Awesume choice "If I can match this build to it" that is.
Everything is Vista 64 bit ready and supported and so I even have that OS to install once I'm ready to put it all together. I just know that once all the bugs are smoothed out that I'll put this Vaio PCV755 in the closet or on e-bay! I like downloading and watching movies. I also like gaming but haven't transisted to using my PC yet but that is the idea. The games I like do have some strong graphics so shading is a must???

brians_ready2

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009

I would like it to be a good gamer. That is what I have been calling it since I begain this project over a year ago. This Vaio PCV-RX755 has been a good Media Center since I required it but a project all in itself and, I just know to the closet it will go or to E-Bay or something once I'm ready to put all the pieces together on this Abit LG-95Z. Thus, it may have to settle with some movie watching and web surfing too.
Taking my time in this build has afforded me the oppertunity to investigate all the supported processors and ram (thus maxing out the ram and purchasing the highest MHz processor and it just so happens to support all the latest technologies like hyperthreading and ect...), carefully choose the window case and later, a better power supply (580W). DVD Burner and wireless PCI card and a heafty Sata HDD. I have fallen in love with gathering her parts and may extend the build even longer... water maybe???
But first, How does the vedio card world work? I don't understand.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Tell us what games you like to play...Real time strategy like command on conquer, First person shooters like crysis, COD 4, MMORPG like WoW...that is what I meant when I asked those things.

On the PSU, the wattage rating doesn't interest me, and is unimportant. I want to know the Make and model of it. Is it thermaltake, xclio, rosewill, BFG, OCZ, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Coolmax...ect. This has a large impact on the recommendation we make...and we may recommend you buy a different one depending on what you tell us it is.