Status
Not open for further replies.

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hey guys! I am a bit new at OCing (I only have done a few, and they've been easy to oc...)
I have a MSI Pro-E, core i7 930, with a HD5770 (plaining on another, and getting some more fans)
Don't ask me the name of my cooler (-.-) I bought it from some large online co (like alien ware cyberpower, ect...)... I actually built it, I just got the cooler for cheaper on their closeout section, It is Liquid, and I think 120 MM radiator...
I went into bios, and the only thing I could see for OCing is being able to change the CPU frequency, and that is it... All the things I've found say there is more then that, and so do my personal experience... CPU-z also reports no difference in my clockrate(it also says when I validate, my clockrate is 1.6 ghz?....)... I don't want an aggresive OC, just like... maybe 20% or so...
Also should I bother with OCing my HD 5770? it is a Power Colour.
Sorry for the sketchy info.
~thanks guys!
PS. I wanna know what is a good fan for the side of my case, LED preferred... I have a Coolermaster Elite 310. I can't find anything I like, newegg is preferred, but any large company(amazon, tigerdirect, ect...) is good. I had a thread going, but no one will respond...

jerryl

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Ok...

Very similiar set up here....i7 930, with an ASUS 6PX58D mobo and a 5770 GPU.

First what is you PSU? That is important, becuase not only will be working it with OC, but a bad one could make this whole thing pointless as it could fry your system, as my first one did.

Second you need to up the BCLK to get more speed out of your 930. Don't mess with frequency now. It you just to up the BCLK to get more speed, but not alot. Your 930 is going to increment in steps of 21, to set you bclk to 138 and now you have a 2.9Ghz 930.

That is the simple easy first step. You won't need to worry about temps now, from over clocking. But you should be monitoring temps anyway to make sure that everything was set up right in the first place, e.g. heat sink on right, etc.

There are a variety of settings you can push, and with the right HSF, a decent one not a fanastic one, I ran my 930 on the Intel core to 3.5, and a good power supply, you will go places.

After you got the first OC under your belt, read your manual, it will tell you what the setting are and what they do, not how to use them though. For that read a guide, and there are lots of them plublished and you can google them or read posts in here that have the words, Guide and OC in them.

Basically, if you feeling adventurous after that first OC, set the BCLCK to 150, that will give you an over clock of around 3.2. Make sure turbo is off, that is a no no for over clocking, and keep your eye on the temps. You might have to start upping vcore here....around 1.20 - 1.25 should be sufficient and safe.

I could really go into detail here, but a Guide is what you need now.

So eventuall, you can end here.....
CPU Multipier 21 (I never changed it becuase it was processor speed I wanted and not so much memory)
BCLK 200
vcore 1.35 (though I may lower this some)
i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz
UCLK 2400 (this is a more advanced setting)
QPI voltage 1.35 (another advanced setting)
DRAM voltage (for whem your memory starts getting high (around 170 BCLK)

memory timings (again when you start getting upwards of 170 BCLK)

But mostly, experimment slowly, CHECK TEMPS, and read. Seriously in that order. If you go in small inervals and keep you temps low...watch any warnings that pop up in the bios...you really can't hurt anything. Evenutaully, when you get the feel for it, you reach the "oh what the heck stage, lets really boost this setting" and then you'll get somewhere.

Oh, I have a B310A also and buy everything at Amazon....low prices (maybe not the absolute lowest, but, free shipping, and no questions return policy, plus lots of user reviews)

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
All settings are in the cell menu. The reason CPU-Z doesnt show a change in frequency is probably because EIST and C1E are on auto or enabled so when the cpu is idle it downclocks, under a load it should raise tho the set frequency. What was your FSB is now QPI.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
If both are disabled and your base clock is 150 and the multiplier is 21 then the CPU will always run at 3.15ghz(base clock150 x muliplier21=frequency3.15ghz).
If both are enabled and everything is set as ^above then under load it would run at 3.15ghz and at idle the multiplier would downclock to lets say 12 (not sure what it is on a 930) with your base clock staying the same making the frequency 1.8ghz.
With EIST and C1E enabled the cpu will automatically downclock at idle.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I don't want an aggresive OC, just like... maybe 20% or so...

The i7 will do this on its own, it's called turbo mode. At least it will do this for some apps under some conditions. The first i5 I built, my first step was to add about 20% overclock. Then I checked its speed in superpi and discovered that it wasn't any faster than stock speeds, because the stock speed allowed tubo mode to operate.

jerryl

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
I said around 3.2 and 3.15 is around 3.2.....

And Dirtyjuice is right....CPUID downclocks to 12 on a 930, at least on my 930, so 150 would be 1.8, not around 1.8, but 1.8:)

For 3.2 you want BCLK of 152.

also, turn off turbo mode....it plays hell on OCn

And..................this is very, very fun to do....if you have any type of decent cooling you can get 3.4 easy, and even 3.6 isn't that much of stretch....after that I'd be careful. Just take it slow and ....watch the temps....

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Ok I would try to keep temps under 80c and you should be fine.
With that voltage you might be able to get to 3.4-3.5ghz without any trouble, but you need to find out why you cant change any bios settings. The system may be ok now but if something is wrong you may have major problems later especially if it is a bad bios chip, it may just decide not to post one day and then you have to send it back to MSI to have it repaired, which takes forever sometimes I know I had a bios chip go bad before on a gigabyte board and it took a month to get it back. If I were you I would RMA it if you can and get a new one.
You could try a bios update and see if that fixes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.