X1900XTX vs Radeon HD 4830

gutzan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Hi folks,

I've been looking to upgrade my video card, however my budget isn't nearly what it used to be, so I was hoping someone could clear up a few things for me. I've been using my X1900XTX for quite a while now, however running WoW in WotLK has been very annoying since in raids I have to turn my settings to the bare minimum if i want to run at 1920x1200 (I have a 24" widescreen LCD, it would be a shame not to :( ). Anyways, I'm tryin' to find out if the HD 4830 would be a large enough upgrade over my current (and functioning) card to warrant the $100 or not. I might end up going with an 8800GT instead, but not totally sure. Either way, if I can get a decent comparison of my card and the 4830 I can make that decision later.

I've looked around for old X1900XTX reviews, however there's one thing I'm stuck on... and that's Universal Shaders. The old reviews and specs talk about Pixel/Vertex shaders and Pixel Shader processors, however I have no clue what a "Universal Shader" is compared to these, so it's hard to compare stat for stat.

Anywho, I'll also be snagging another 2GB of memory in the meantime (for 4GB total), so I'll see how much that helps.

Thanks in advance. :)

Obstruct44

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Um, how about dont buy the 4830. They are going the way of the dodo very shortly due to the new card coming, that should be about the same price but better. Or at least wait to see if the price drops for the 4830. http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4750-rv740-review-preview-test/

gutzan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Yeah, since it's nearing the end of the month I was going to see what came out in April first along with the appropriate reviews, but wanted at least some starting ground to go off of so that I could start thinking. For whatever reason I wasn't being smart and didn't bother trying to find seperate benchmarks for each card and then just compare those as I've done in the past, but was instead trying to compare spec for spec, which was silly.

I'll make sure to see what they're going to do with the 4830's and the similar NVidia cards in that price range before I buy over the next few weeks though... getting really tired of this 5fps stuff. Thanks again for the advice. :)