Help with picking out MoBo

Matthew_B

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I need help finding the proper components:

I am building a PC that will go inside an FSAE racecar. I want it to run off 12VDC (preferably without ATX supply). It will run a linux distro (probably Mint). I need to put a PCI Wireless-N NIC on it, so I need it to have a PCI slot.

Any help/comments would be great. Thanks.

mfn6@unh.edu
Matthew

Matthew_B

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Oh, I also need it to have an RS-232 Serial connector.

Is it possible to use a solid state memory card (like a 16GB SD car) in place of a disc drive to run everything?

The Asus EEE Box seems almost a custom fit for what you want. The computer without LCD screen.
Asus EEE Box You'd probably want to swap the 160GB 2.5" laptop HDD for a SSD but you could still do that for ~ $400

83-220-005-08.jpg

Matthew_B

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
We have a linksys http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-N-PCI-Adapter-WMP300N/dp/B000FDDUXG wi-fi card. We need the external antenna because the car is going to be sometimes quite far from the pit crew.

The ME's on the team can build me any custom enclosure that I want, so I am more or less looking to get just a motherboard/CPU. I will need USB, serial and PCI.

The setup from last year used a circuit that allowed the PC to run on 12V. If necessary, I can reuse that, but it would be great in the interest of saving space if it already had that capability built in.

Thanks for the help, this is a great site!

That circuit between the 12V source and computer would have needed to regulate and supply +3.3V, +5V and +12V power to the motherboard.

I think your best bet is to go with one of made-for-a-car type PCs. Intel Atom single or dual core CPUs.
VoomPC-2 Car PC You can choose your parts and have then installed and tested for $30.
- That small card underneath the motherboard is the power supply which mounts in the case.

media.nl

Matthew_B

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Thanks WR2, What about if I wanted to add a PCI Card to it? It seems like because it would be perpendicular to the motherboard, it wouldn't fit in that enclosure?

The enclosure isn't an issue really, we have some great mech. engineers on the team who love to build stuff out of aluminum.

Thanks again