Sign in with
Your question

C: Access is Denied

Last response: in Storage
September 11, 2010 2:34:40 PM

Can anyone help me get the data off a HP boot drive that will not boot or restore/repair itself. I think the system files on the boot drive is corrupt (windows vista), . I tried to restore & nothing. So I have remove the drive from that PC & connected it to another PC using an ESATA/USB external drive. I am trying to copy the data over to another drive & restore the file after a clean install of Win7. The external drive is connect to my pc which is running window7 64 ultimate with Norton 2010 360. I have heard if the files have a virus, windows will not let you access the drive. What am I missing, I have tried the following so far;

-Connected to another PC using a ext. drive
-Take ownership, it scans the files setting the permissions & finishes with no problems. I go to try to access the drive & access is denied
-Set permission

Thanks,

More about : access denied

a c 104 G Storage
September 11, 2010 9:19:21 PM

Dirty Durden said:
Can anyone help me get the data off a HP boot drive that will not boot or restore/repair itself. I think the system files on the boot drive is corrupt (windows vista), . I tried to restore & nothing. So I have remove the drive from that PC & connected it to another PC using an ESATA/USB external drive. I am trying to copy the data over to another drive & restore the file after a clean install of Win7. The external drive is connect to my pc which is running window7 64 ultimate with Norton 2010 360. I have heard if the files have a virus, windows will not let you access the drive. What am I missing, I have tried the following so far;

-Connected to another PC using a ext. drive
-Take ownership, it scans the files setting the permissions & finishes with no problems. I go to try to access the drive & access is denied
-Set permission

Thanks,

Hi there,

I have not heard of Win-7 denying access to a file because of a virus.

You didn't mention how you had the accounts set up on the HP, but try setting the permissions on the data files to everyone, and on the master PC as administrator and see if they will copy over. You didn't have the files on the HP set as "Encrypted" (EFS)?
Might also consider connecting the "HP HDD" directly to your Win-7 computer with a SATA or IDE cable and copying directly HDD to HDD.
While copying the data files, disconnect from the Internet, and turn off Norton during the transfer.
m
l
March 21, 2013 1:03:45 AM

go to C:/ Properties--> Security and add Group or Users. you can compare other disk, then you'll find the differences
m
l
!