Recommendation for PCI dual video card - DOS

dabbler

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
I dedicate this question to all you DOS gamers out there...

I need to find a dual VGA PCI video card that doesn't use much conventional memory.

Background:

My primary application at work is a 16 bit DOS application (yes, I know, but it is what is is). I was recently allowed to purchase a second 22" monitor for my PC. The IT staff installed a dual VGA GeForce 5200 PCI video card. However, the BIOS on this video card takes up more high memory than the onboard video. Currently the PCI card takes the A000-AFFF, B000-B7FF, and the C000-CF3F ranges.

Before the PCI card was added, I had ~ 204 kilobytes of conventional memory available after my DOS application loaded. Now, I get ~ 159 kilobytes available. The application really needs ~ 200 kilobytes available to run reliably.

Yes, I know I can use VMWare, but I really want to be able to run the application on my desktop as well as in a virtual machine. I also know I could probably add a USB video card, but I have been unable to find a USB video adapter that has any good reviews about running well at a resolution of 1920 x 1200.

I need some recommendations as to either a) a good USB video adapter or b) a dual VGA PCI video card that doesn't use a lot of high memory for the BIOS (my HP Compaq DC5700 doesn't have a true PCI-Express slot - and no AGP).

I can provide more specs if needed.

Thanks!

dabbler

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
Good point about the memory...I hadn't thought about that. I believe the add-in PCI card has 128 meg.

The DOS app doesn't run at 1920 x 1200 - it runs windowed in XP.

dabbler

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005

That item has since been deactivated. I convinced my IT department to buy this dual head 64 meg PCI card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161011

Now I have 205K available after the DOS application loads, which beats the minimum required (200K).

The only minor issue now is that this card only does 16bit color at 1920 x 1200 on the analog port - even though it can do 32 bit color at the same resolution on the DVI port, but I can absolutely live with this minor issue.

Thank you!