Slow Transfer: External HDD

papatyi

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
hi - I just bought a samsung story 1 TB external hard drive. I'm attempting to copy my laptop hard drive - it has 60GB of data and programs that I'm trying to copy onto the external drive. It's copying at 10.7 MB/s right now. It says that 26 hours remain to complete the copying. This seems way too long. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Solution

Hello,

The transfer speed will depend on controller you are using to transfer the data and other ongoing computer activity. Also if you are using a program like Acronis or Ghost, their estimated transfer times are at the beginning of a transfer are waaay off.

However, even if the 10.7 MB/s is accurate, 60,000 MB divided by 10.7 MB/s divided by 3600 seconds per hour comes out to 1.56 Hours, which...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hello,

The transfer speed will depend on controller you are using to transfer the data and other ongoing computer activity. Also if you are using a program like Acronis or Ghost, their estimated transfer times are at the beginning of a transfer are waaay off.

However, even if the 10.7 MB/s is accurate, 60,000 MB divided by 10.7 MB/s divided by 3600 seconds per hour comes out to 1.56 Hours, which is reasonable for that amount of data.

Solution
Indeed. John is correct. However, if you want to try and get a bit more speed, you can try and update the chipset for your computer, which in turn can refresh/update the USB controllers. However, around 2 hours is right on for 60GB on USB 2.0.

papatyi

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

Thank you.