Out of ideas & out of money, why wont it work!?

Blank2k2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Well ive had my system up & running for 2 years now, no problems apart from a faulty stick of ram once, which was replaced over a year ago.

Ive done no upgrades since then, case has never been opened apart from to add a better case fan 8months ago.

Past 4-5 weeks, i could be playing games (WoW for example), play fine for hours... then computer would suddenly turn off, we've been having flickering lights in the UK for awhile so kinda figured maybe it was an electric fluctuation that caused it to do this, but it happened once a day kinda thing.. but it was a problem i put in the "I'll fix it when i can be bothered" tray.

Then i played a game a week ago, (WoW again) computer turned off about 7 times in 30minutes, so ive got a problem on my hands, i leave the computer for a few hours to settle, came back...

stress tested the graphics card, hit 85c after 30mins, but high id say but system was stable
i then did a memtest86 which crashed when it hit 5%, so i thought ah ha, its a memory problem.. but i downloaded a ubuntu live cd as a friend reccomended i ran memtest from it, seemed to go fine.. except every 2 hours the computer would suddenly turn off, so i plugged a few sticks & put in a few sticks & shuffled them around, tested them all individually & it passed all of them after 2 hours each stick.

i then was stumped, and relised hey wait ive not actually tested my CPU, so i downloaded Prime95, let that run..2:30minutes in the computer turned off.

At this point i thought ek, processor problem?.. downloaded Realtemp & ran Prime95 again, CPU was hitting 92c & turning off, i also ran it upto 85c & stopped the test... took a long while to cool back down again.

So i found my problem, overheating CPU... ran out, got a new heatsink from pc world (urgh, i was desperate).. but its an Akasa Evo Blue, installed it etc.. ran the PC for about 2 hours casual desktop / internet use, perfectly fine, checked temperatures was about 35-40c... decided to Prime95 it again, hit 71c after about 10minutes and stayed between 71c-73c for another 10minutes.

Still abit high for my liking, but system was stable, all together the PC was on & stable for 4-5hours after the new heat sink, the clock hit 3am, its time for bed... so i shut down the pc.

Come back the following evening, turn it on... go for a quick leak, make myself a drink, came back... monitors displaying a black screen, PC itself seems to be alive (lights/fans/cd drives etc on), weird, reboot.. same story.

So, then had big problem on my hands as all im getting is a black screen, no beeping, but computers alive as far as i could tell, so i pulled out cards / ram / hdd's etc, did everything i could to diagnose the problem & got no where.

After googling for a few hours, i gathered a dead CPU causes this, and since my CPU was getting deep-fried for a month i figured ahh, that must be it, soooo... i sold my girlfriend & bought a new CPU, which arrived today.. ive put the computer back togerther, and i still have a black screen.

Currently my bank balance reads: £16.97 and my brains out of ideas, so i came here in hopes someone will have the patience to read up on my problem & tell me whats wrong.

Spec:
CPU: Core2Duo E6600 (Orignal) - Core2Duo Q6600 (Replacement)
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-E SLi
GFX: BFG 8800GTX
RAM: OCZ 8GB PC6400
PSU: 600w OCZ Silent Gaming something.
Sound: X-Fi Fatality

And again, if anyones good enough to read all the above & reply, thanks in advance! :)

Blank2k2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Unfortunately i have no spare PSU, though i have access to a PC of similar spec im hoping i can you know.. like.... steal & butcher til my PC works.

i didnt get a chance to run a memtest after the new cpu cooler, as for ram timings / voltage, they were setup properly before this problem happened, but in the course of trying to fix it i reset the cmos (via jumper) so those settings will be gone now, and now since all ive got is a black screen i cant setup the bios atm.

a friend said i should reset the cmos again after installing a new cpu so it'll re-detect it etc, so ill try that when i get home.
If that fails, ill look at the ram, ill remove 3 sticks & leave 1 in & see if it'll show anything on screen.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Nah definetly PSU or ram.

Take the sound card out, it has little use and wastes a few watts which could be the difference between playing close to the limit or it shutting down.

Blank2k2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Well ive stripped out the PC today, all thats in there now is CPU / Heatsink / 2 Fans (others are disconnected) / GFX / DVD-Rom & DVD-Writer, everything else is gone or disconnected from the power.

ive had PSU's "go" before, but usually they just stop or a nice puff of smoke... never had one actually power up a system but not allow anything to go on screen.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I have a feeling its your power supply from this statement. “we've been having flickering lights in the UK for awhile so kinda figured maybe it was an electric fluctuation that caused it to do this “ that right there is what did it if I had to guess. Power supply need constent power and when the lights flicker it normal means a low voltage issue which is extremely extremely dangerous to computer parts. I have seen a similar issue where the person was losing voltage to the house ever thing would dim or flicker suddenly then come back on. Will in there case they got extremely unlucky only thing I salvage from there wrecked PC was the DVD drive everything else fried with the power supply which would turn on but was giving wrong voltages. So if you can first thing I would do is change out power supply and go from there.

PS just noticed they also had a OCZ power supply with Modular cabling

Blank2k2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Hmm, everyone seems to be pointing at the PSU, ill see if i can steal the psu from this pc & see if it'll boot or not assuming the cmos reset doesnt magically solve all my problems for free

*prays*

Blank2k2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Well luckily i borrowed a PSU, and it turns out my PSU was fine.
Problem was 2 dead ram slots on the motherboard, so now im running on 4gig insted of 8, but the computers running fine :)

Just running a prime95 now to make sure the new CPU is ok & doesnt overheat etc as the motherboard is obviously damaged some how i better keep an eye on temperatures until i can afford a new one.