New GeForce 9800 not working

kairkyo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I have just bought the card and put it into my machine and nothing. after calling both asus and nvidia tech support I find out my mobo is pci-e 1.0 and the card is pci-e 2.0 but SHOULD bounce down to 1.0.
anyone have and ideas how to correct this problem?

Far as I know it should indeed be backward compatible with PCI-E 1.0. Theoretically, this could reduce your overall performance. But it should work.

The 9800GTX does require a 6pin power connector be attached to it. Have you connected this? (usually it squeals very loud if you don't). You may also want to take a look at your BIOS settings on your motherboard just to make sure there aren't any issues there. (Also, are there any BIOS updates for your motherboard?)

Do you have the 9800GT or 9800GTX? :)

kairkyo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
GT and yes the extra connector is indeed plugged in, now i DID just get it to run on another machine i just got which im sure is pci-e 1.0 but i want it to run in the machine with my core2duo, the mobo i want it to run on is a asus PK5 deluxe, when my DL is done ill go play around in the bios and see if i can dink with it. im just looking for possible solutions.
like i said i HAVE verified the card is working

kairkyo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
bah, id have to open the box to to tell you the wattage of the PSU but im 75% itll run it, when i bought it i made sure upgrages would be possible.
when i say nothing i mean nothing on screen comes up, but the bio speaker dosent indicate and problems
specs include

mobo - asus PK5 Deluxe wifi edition
memory - 2 gigs ddr2
HD - 500GB,1 drive
GPU ATM - EVGA GeForce 8600 gts PCI-E 16X 256 MB

I'm prone to agree with kyeana's direction. If the card works in another system, but not in yours, I'd really want to take a look at details on the PSU.

The total wattage is important, but the actual Amperage on the 12v rail is probably the biggest thing to be looking at. Can you get the model # of your PSU? And or read the Max Wattage and 12v Amp ratings off the label of your PSU?

kairkyo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
thats what i have been told and read :/
i got it working in the other box by fiddling with the bios so when i play with them on this box ill look for a similer setting i toggled and i may get lucky, i dont want to have to downgrade to a Pentium D
ill be on standby untill i can get to the bios and fiddel

kairkyo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

is there anyway to see my PSU in windows, otherwise id have to pull it all out for the label is on the bottom of the case

kairkyo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
ok problem solved, long story short i was dumb and didnt search enough, apparently you have to tell my mobo to tell the card to force the card to run in 2.0
thanks for trying to help me guys, it was greatly appreciated

TRENDING THREADS