Vista does not recognize my 9800gtx+

Status
Not open for further replies.

freestonew

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
hi all. I went through TWO pny 9800gtx+ cards, with Best Buy, both would just fit the case, but vista 32 would not recognize the new card!! all that vista tells me when I try to install the drivers is, "not compatible with your card", the hardware graphics manager in hardawre only shows the vga windriver that I am using, not the 9800gtx+ card. [card does not exist in vista, thusly!]
device manager only shows the vga driver and no 9800gtx+ card, even though it is in the slot and powered up with that one six-pin connector.

then I reinstalled back my 8800gt! good! that works ok.

I have an antec earthwatts 500 watts psu and I learned on *THIS* forum that this psu works ok, as i thought that my psu was not up to snuff!

there was only ONE six-pin connector on each of the both cards! the box says that there is two on each card. so i connected the one six-prong connector to the card from my 500watts psu. the only connector on the card. the fan spins, the card is warm, but no plug and play "recognition"!
my plug and play is active in my vista services.

?????

[edit]
I also noted that when I put my 8800gt card back into the slot and booted up, the card was not recognized either, but the previous driver installed ok!
[i used driver sweeper to remove traces of nvidia drivers!]

I installed my souncard, the creative x-fi ok, last year! that card was regognized.

here is maybe a small tip: that in my bios there is an option to disable the onboard soundcard, but none for the video onboard card!

would this card be overkill, anyways, for my emachine T5062 2.4
athlon? [3.8 athlon].

I play oblivion and other rpgs.

I see that now best buy has more of these cards, no one in any forums seems to find the ???? answer!

could I have TWO bad cards?
should there BE a second connector on this card?

this card probably is near the upper limit for my system without upgrade. maybe i should just stay with my quiet 8800gt. [?]

thanks all...

freestone

rav3n

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
maybe you are really unlucky and got 2 faulty cards:( get another replacement or have someone at a pc shop take a look at your system

Krush

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I was running a BFG 6800gt on XP at sp 3 and upgraded to the same card, the PNY 9800gtx. She slid in. I put the disk in, she recognized, installed and I was off to the races. I decided to set up a raid and do a fresh install, so I dumped my installation, reformatted and installed XP sp 0. Put my PNY disk in, she recognized, installed, ran like a champ. Then I installed SP 2. My card disappeared, drivers stopped working and I have a bunch of pcie drivers with yellow ?'s telling me my bios cant read the card. Updated bios, no luck.

Last night I reinstalled windows, went straight to SP 3. No luck. Tonight I'm going to pull the 9800 and put the 6800 back and try to bootstrap the system into installing the card the way I did the first time. The card works, I used it for 4 months. It's a windows/nvidia driver problem.

To that guy running the 8800, pull it and put the 9800gtx back in and try it.

fligex

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Hi there, I have been searching myself about this phantom second power connector for the PNY 9800 GTX+ .
And so far it doesn't seem like there is very much buzz about it at all. I have yet to see any1 come across an actual answer for the reason. Honestly I'm starting to think it was just a typo. Meaning that you need to have two "4" pin connectors rather then 2 seperate 6pin connectors. There is nothing on the card that would suggest a connector to be broken off the card or even that it was simply just not placed onto the card during the manufacturing process.

Simply put this card doesn't take more then a single 6pin connector. The only other reason, besides being a typo, for the confusion would be that this card is intended for use with SLI and have two cards connected would require two seperate 6 pin connectors. However only 1 6pin per card. Regardless this is a great card for the money and registers a 6.6 on the windows index. Nobody said it was the best but its pretty good. Besides upgrading past this would require coughing up the dough for the new dual gpu cards that have come out. Which are friken nasty!!!! BTW both my cuzins have them. One rocking the Nvida card and the other the ATI card.

BTW the solution to your problem lies in your question.
You said that vista was still recognizing your onboad gfx.
This is your problem exactly you must enter the bios and TURN OFF
the onboard gfx that way the board is forced to look to the PCI E slot.

Granted most boards nowadays should do this process automatically but lets be honest there are all kinds of wierd glitches out there. Bottom line is if you have a gfx card installed to the pci express slot your on board should be turned off.

This card is running w/:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2Ghz
4Gb (2 x 2Gb) Matched GSkill DDR3 1600
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P (Rev1.0)
Rosewill 950W w/ 2x6pin 12vRails and 2x8pin 12vRails
OCZ 60Gb SSD

I play WorldOfWarcraft, CallOfDuty:ModerWarfare2, and Battlefield: BadCompany2 all on Max settings

Status
Not open for further replies.