4 Pin or 8 pin CPU power

Hi

I am planing to upgrade my system.
Here are the Products i finalized.

Processor : AMD Phenom 2 - 955 BE
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Ram : 4 GB DDR 3 Transcend.

Problem is, I already have a Cooler Master Extreme Power 600w Power Supply, which has only one 4 pin cpu power connector. But the above Motherboard has 8 pin cpu power slot.

Can i use my 600w single 4 Pin CPU power connector with the Motherboard ?
Will there be any Problem?

I already have an XFX Nvidia 8800 GT OC which i will use with new config.

Please help....
6 answers Last reply
More about power
  1. Normally if there is an 8pin then using an 8pin is strongly recomended however it should work with only 4, just check your mobo book to find out which 4 pins to put it in
  2. The 4 pin connector will only fit in one side of the 8 pin one so you can't get it wrong. The issue is that I should think that the PhenomII 955 will need all 8 pins, whereas the lower powered CPUs should be fine with just 4 pins.
  3. After checking the manual it doesn't seem to matter at all if you use 4pins or 8pins. The only times I've ever NEEDED 8pins is with quad-core Intel CPUs, but then again all the AM2/AM2+ boards I've setup have only had 4pins.
  4. Thanks for the info.

Can i use Molex to 4 Pin 12v Adapter to power remaining 4pins.
  5. No. The pinouts aren't right.

Use the existing 4 pin connector. You should be fine. If you had an Intel mb, I'd say to use the 4 pins closest to the CPU socket.
  6. I have asked the Gigabyte Technical Support the same question, and here is their exact reply.

About the issue you mentioned, basically, it should be ok to use 4 pin CPU power connector without problem. However, due to AMD Phenom II X4 955 is a 125W processor, if possible, we will suggest you to use 8 pin CPU connector.

So i will continue to use the 4 pin connector.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies CPUs Power Components