EasyEME

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hi,
I recently bought an extra 2GB of ram as a 2-1GB stick kit and am having some issues. I have an MSI motherboard, but unfortunately I don't know how to find out what model. It uses DDR400 (PC-3200) ram. I originally had 2 1GB Kingston sticks in it and I bought 2 more 1GB G.Skill sticks cause the Kingstons I have are discontinued. I made sure the speeds matched. I do know, however, that the timings are slightly different between the 2 brands, but it is my understanding that as long as the pairs of sticks match, that's ok.

Anywhoo, the issue I'm having is this: When I put in the new sticks, it only registers 3.5GB in POST. I have 32-bit windows XP, so I know the OS won't read all 4 gigs till I update to Vista 64, but I was under the impression that POST should still show the right amount. Also, when both pairs are in, POST shows DDR333 and a lower clock speed, not DDR400, which both pairs of sticks are. Finally, when I remove EITHER pair of sticks, it shows 2GB of DDR400 RAM. This makes me think that there's nothing wrong with either pair, and that this is a mobo or BIOS issue. I have a feeling it has something to do with the different timings, but that's just a guess. Any thoghts much appreciated! :)

TRENDING THREADS