Sign in with
Your question

wireless noob...

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 6, 2004 8:02:25 PM

I'm adding a computer to my bedroom but i don't feel like putting holes in my walls. So i decided that wireless maybe a good choice. I want to to be able to go as fast as my internet is (3mbps). It has to go through 3 walla(not brick or cement) and about 25 feet. I was wondering if I'll be able to have the speed. I do play pc games online that require decent connection. Will it perform as good as wired (not pc2pc but internet wise)?

More about : wireless noob

May 6, 2004 8:09:54 PM

Walls are variables and would probably stop you from getting the full 3 Mbps of your internet pipe if you go with 802.11b. Might not but I wouldn't chance it. Go with an 802.11g, 54 Mbps solution and you should be fine. Should being a key word. No absolutes with wireless. You may have interference from a number of things, moisture in the path etc..

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer
May 6, 2004 8:15:27 PM

alright thanks, I figure i only need 3 mbps out of 54 mbps and I'm way within the range so I think I should be able to get the speed. The humidity around here (pennsylvania) changes alot. My cordless phone is 900 mhz so i should be fine going with g because of the 2.4 ghz, am I right to assume this? Is there anything else that can interupt the signal that would be good for me to know about?
Related resources
May 7, 2004 9:37:26 PM

Other access points in the area. HAM operators. Hidden materials in the walls. Rebar etc... Any metal in the path. Water is a signal killer, so no fishtanks in the path, water heater and so on. For what it's worth you would never get 54 Mbps anyway, nor 11 Mbps for an 802.11b WLAN.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer
May 8, 2004 2:31:36 PM

Alright thanks for the info, is that superG stuff with the 108mbps transfer rate for real or just a scam?
May 9, 2004 11:10:32 AM

Depends. Actually, it depends on too many things. Number one is that even with plain 'g' you're not going to really get 54 Mbps. Test, there are various compression and channel bonding schemes in use out there, and they can give you a boost in throughput, but the bottom line is that unless you're doing a lot of large file transfers between your main system(s) and the laptop, you're never going to come close to using that, much less 108.

A much better method of choosing is to check real lab tests on router/card combos. Why combos? Because a router will always give the best performance when used with the matching card made by the same company. I checked over the tests run by Tom's and the ones by PC Magazine labs and the D-Link DI-624 looks like the champ to me. It gave the best results in terms of throughput over distance. It's a few bucks more expensive than the LinkSys, but the usable range is a big advantage.

Quote:
<font color=green>===</font color=green> Never assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>====</font color=green>

!