Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II 965 BE; Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3--Need Help

Last response: in Overclocking
September 25, 2010 11:07:11 AM

Hi guys,

I'm still new to overclocking, so I had a question about the motherboard BIOS and the article on overclocking using AMD Black Edition CPUs. I've read through the article several times, and I've gone through BIOS quite a bit now. If I'm understanding things right, this particular AMD chip makes overclocking a bit more simplistic because of an unlocked multiplier. Ok, so far, so good. I sort of understand what that means. When I pull up something like the Asus TurboV program, I can easily fiddle with the different multipliers for each core. again, that's if I'm understanding things right.

The trick, however, is trying to find anything that looks like increasing multipliers in the ASUS BIOS. There's nothing like this, from what I can tell. I've tried everything. Anybody out there know how to translate was was written in the article stuck on this forum about increasing the multiplier with a AMD BE when using ASUS BIOS under Ai Tweaker? I've had mild success using auto tuning functions with TurboV (the software), and the ASUS OC auto-tuning function. Both put my AMD at around 3.68Ghz. But I wanted to give a shot at raising that a bit and keeping the rest of the settings at standard (except, perhaps, a mild voltage tweak).

I did use TurboV and I set the CPU ratio at 18.5, thereby getting me at 3996 MHz. I kept the CPU Voltage at 1.375, and ran Windows Experience Testing. I watched my AMD OverDrive Utility's CPU monitoring software as Windows tested my system, and things seemed to be stable. Temp spiked to 52C for a few seconds at one point during the test. For the rest of the test, it was around 36ish-44ish. When the frequency hit a little above 4000Mhz, the voltage would stay at 1.375. I'm sure putting it under some true stress tests would make my system freeze up due to the low voltage, but I didn't want to mess with things using the software like that. Anyhow, I'm writing to find out if anyone can help translate the AMD BE article using ASUS BIOS (i.e., where in the ASUS BIOS do I increase the multiplier by .5?). Thanks in advance.

More about : phenom 965 asus m4a88td usb3

September 25, 2010 3:46:23 PM

Have you tried updating your Bios ? What version of BIOS do you have? And yes i just got done with weeks of testing, 1.375 is the auto voltage for this chip (i have it) you can easily find out if you are under volted by running prime95 , if you are you will crash pretty quick during the torture tests. Although 3.8ghz is pretty stable (for my chip) at the stock voltage, with OCing though even an extra 100MHz will cause instability without proper voltage.

My advice is if you can set your voltages in bios then keep using your asus software to set the multiplier. Download 3dm06, if you can get through that test then you should be stable enough to try using something like prime 95 that will put 100% stress on each core, although i dont advise like most people would to do ridiculous 36 hour tests with programs like prime 95, that just in my opinion takes a lot out of your chip when it is not needed, this is stated in the sticky.

I also would steer away from AMD overdrive , this is just my opinion. Use something like cpu-z , and and cpuid-hardware monitor to watch temps and loads.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2010 4:23:35 PM

Set AI Overclock Tuner to "manual" to enable manual adjustment of settings.

Screenshots in This review of a M4A79T may give you a better visual.
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2010 7:18:41 PM

Ok. Thanks for the response guys! I uninstalled AMD Overdrive. I am monitoring the hardware via CPUID Hardware monitor and Asus suite.

I figured out how to increase the "CPU Ratio" on the Asus Bios. It was set on auto, and I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it. With the other settings, you click on "enter" when you're highlighting the right one. But with the CPU ratio, you highlight "Auto" and then just type the number in. So I started out at 17, which gave me a 3.4. I manually increased my ram to 1600 (which I think is what my ram is rated at, at 1.5 volts--GSkill Ram). Because I was able to run stabling at a different CPU Ratio through the software while in windows, I increased the ratio to 20, giving me a speed of 4.0.

Now the interesting thing, which I had no idea was going on: my Asus BIOS automatically increased the voltage to my CPU incrementally. I thought it would maintain default voltage, so I figured the voltage would be significantly lower, and I was expecting crashes (and I was going to incrementally increase the voltage with the multiplier at 20). So I didn't discover that my CPU voltage increased to 1.404 when the multiplier is applied at 20.0 (giving me 4017.9 MHz).

Because the Asus board by default sets voltage to "off-set," somehow when the multiplier increases, so does the voltage. With all of that said, if you're still following me, I'm right now running Prime95, while watching and recording via a TV tuner on the computer, and I'm typing this. When all cores are maxed out, temp is around 54-56. Prime has been running through 4 tests and I'll let it run a little more. I've gone through the balanced test, and ran 8 passes through, and I'm now running the test that tests the temperature and just a little bit of ram. Given the numbers I'm telling you, how does this sound? So far, this seems too easy. I expected a lot more crashes. I think I could probably take it up another notch or two, even. Would like opinions from folks who know what they're doing (unlike myself).
m
l
September 25, 2010 8:15:56 PM

Ummm sounds about right , you wanna watch the 60c ceiling for this chip, if not you run the risk of burning it. But those temps are very similar to what i was getting earlier this week. If you can pass a 4 hour test or even 2 hour test in prime95 i would say you are relatively stable, but like i said im not one of those proponents for 30+ hour prime testing. You sound like you are on the right track man !

And yes if you leave it on auto the MB will regulate the vcore to supplement the core speed increases.

Next thing to do would try the clock out on gaming!

I would think that you will come close to the 60c ceiling around 4.1 or 4.2
Keep me updated !
m
l
September 26, 2010 12:28:38 AM

Well I tried going up one more notch to make it 4.1, but it blue screened at the start of the test. So, I would have had to manually manipulate the voltage. I think I could have teased out another notch or two, but it's just not worth it for the peace of mind I have right now. I'm delighted to get this much out of it with relatively little effort (besides figuring out where to manipulate the settings in BIOS). So now, it's off to figuring out how to overclock the graphics card. :-)
m
l
!