Q9450 too hot

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I've had my Q9450 for a year now and have been very happy with the performance. I've always planned to overclock it and now I've started to think about doing so. But the issue is that it runs far too hot. At first I thought that it was my case (Poor airflow) but now I have the Antec Twelve Hundred and its lowered the temps but not by enough.

Today I ran Prime 95 for only 3 to 4 minutes and my cores reached 76,71,74,74 on real temp 2.5 (TJ max 95). I know that the stock cooler is not great but it should be able to hold the quad under 70C at stock settings?

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
those temps are way too high. i'd say that they would even enter into the critical range. get a new heatsink as soon as you can because running a cpu at that kind of temperature is not safe. or if that's too expensive, check to make sure your stock fan is properly mounted, not hanging off or something. you could also lower the temps a bit more by replacing the thermal paste with something good like arctic silver.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Its not hanging off its seated fine. Its stupid that the heatsink fan that came with it can not keep it at a safe temperature. Whats a good price to pay for a heatsink?

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Thats what I thought. Sorry I should have said I'm from the UK so I use Ebuyer and Overclockers. I could not find that Heatsink fan on any of them.