Desktop icons not showing

Kalokeri

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hi, are you missing just desktop icons or desktop and start menu icons? Some viruses set all these to hidden to try and keep you from your anti-virus program, my parents got infected by one.

To see if they are just hidden and not deleted try this:
Right click the Start button and select Explore All Users.
Look for an icon on the left panel that says Desktop, click it.
Now at the top of the window click Tools and Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Scroll down to Hidden Files and Folders
Click the bubble that says Show Hidden Files and Folders.
Click Ok.

Did the Icons come back but semi transparent? If so right click on the files and hit properties
Uncheck the Hidden box and click OK.

Once you have restored all the files back to their normal state you should probably change the folder options back to hiding hidden files, most files are hidden for a reason. Also run an up to date antivirus program immediately.

ambreprasad77

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
this can be becoz the explorer.exe has not loaded correctly. u can restart the process manually from task manager.
1) Press Ctrl+alt+Delete key together and task manager will open
2) In the task manager Alt+Ctrl+Del and click on the tab “Processes” and here Find Explorer.exe in the list and click on End process.
3) Now Go to file menu and click on new task (run) command Run box will be opened.
4) Type there eplorer.exe and press enter button.

Yazan Al-Habal

Reputable
May 4, 2014

Right click the Desktop, Point it to Arrange Icons By and then click Show Desktop Icons.

sobiasyeda

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

hi
after paying regards i want to say that my desktop icons now appeare but after shutting down my pc and again signing in i faced same problem
can i fix it permanently??