GA-MA770-UD3 problem IDE

paulza

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hi
I'm putting together my 3rd computer and having my first problems. End of lucky streak.
The good news. All the fans(cpu,vga & case) work and front panel lights & on switch work.
The Bad news. That's all. I'm getting nothing on the monitor and don't hear the HD fire up. I also notice that the DVD player has power without the IDE connected, but is dead when I connect the cable. I've changed the cable but no change.
Does this sound like a motherboard problem?

The system, mostly new..
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
AMD Phenom II X3 720
Sapphire Radeon HD4770 PCI
OCZ 600w Power
OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR2 1066
Sony DRU-710A DVD/CD (older)
Seagate Barracuda sata HD (older)

bilbat

Splendid
Sounds like a cabling problem:

Here's an IDE cable:
M|----------|------|D
M1---------2-----3D
The 'M' end is the motherboard connector; the 'D' end goes to the drives.
There are two kinds of cables: 'standard' (on which the drives are jumpered to identify them), and 'cable select' (on which the cable itself sorts out the drive IDs).
If there are no labels (often, a large plastic or fabric 'pull-tab') saying 'master' and 'slave' on connectors 2 and 3, you have a 'standard' cable - jumper as follows:
it doesnt matter what connector goes to what; your primary (boot) HDD will need to be jumpered as 'master' [MSTR] on the drive; your secondary (or ODD) gets jumpered as 'slave' [SLV] on the drive.
If there are labels saying 'master' and 'slave' on connectors 2 and 3, you have a 'cable select' cable - jumper as follows:
Both drives get jumpered as [CSEL] on the drive; your primary (boot), or only, in the case of just one, goes on connector 3, which should be labeled 'master'; your secondary (or ODD) goes on connector 2, which should be labeled 'slave'; connector 1 goes to your MOBO IDE port...

Now, boot, do a <DEL> to get into the BIOS, and go to the 'Integrated Peripherals' page - set 'Onboard SATA/IDE Device' to 'Enabled'; set 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode' to 'IDE'; go to the 'Advanced BIOS Features' page, select 'Hard Disk Boot Priority', and hit <ENTER>; select your boot drive from the list; set 'First Boot Device' to 'CDROM', 'Second Boot Device' to 'Hard Disk', and you should be good to go...

paulza

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Thanks Bilbat, I'll double check again. I've so far tried both types of cables with the same result and as the computer won't boot, the cpu does not get warm and I hear no "beeps" when I do a stripped down start with only mobo, cpu and single memory, I'm starting to believe the psu, cpu or mobo is faulty or a combination of them.
What I still can't understand is why the DVD drive would lose power when the IDE cable is attached. Isn't that cable just for data transfers, and if it is, does that mean the mobo is causing the problem.
Here are my somewhat naive thoughts:
1 The GPU is faulty and producing enough power for the fans but not enough to power the motherboard/cpu. (Probably not)
2 The mobo is dead, but why would the fans and the video card fan that are plugged into it work?
3 The cpu is/was DOA. I've checked the connections and ran the system for a minute to check for heat. Stone cold and I think an AMD Phenom would at least be warm. If that is the case, I'm switching to Intel. This will have been the third death in 5 years and I'm not overclocking anything.
Your thoughts and thanks.

bilbat

Splendid
The Phenom being 'stone cold' is pretty certainly a telltale - sounds dead. Assuming you have at least the ATXx4 plugged in, that baby should heat up pretty much immediately - one of the giveaways of a poorly attached heatsink is that the system powers up for a second or two, and that quickly, goes into thermal shutdown as the CPU overheats pronto!