Sign in with
Your question

Get 4850 or wait for RV870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2009 2:46:44 AM

Well, I was just going to buy a 4850 when I heard that RV870 could come by Q2 09. Should I wait? Or will the Q6600 bottleneck anything faster than a 4850? I game at 1440 x 900- crysis, cod4,waw,mw2, me, etc. Also, should I go ahead with Palit? I heard they're closing down.

More about : 4850 wait rv870

a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2009 2:50:43 AM

Palit aren't closing down, they are just shutting up shop in the US. Right now is a bad time to be buying any graphics card, there are just too many good cards on the near horizon.
March 24, 2009 5:14:46 AM

With a low resolution like that you don't need anything more than a 4850.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 24, 2009 8:41:20 AM

Personally im waiting but im going the other way and waiting for the 4750

Mactronix
March 24, 2009 9:46:56 AM

wait for the 4750 or 4770, the 4770 is the better of the 2 new mainstearm card.
March 24, 2009 10:09:55 AM

Isn't RV770 supposed to be faster than RV740?
a c 196 U Graphics card
March 24, 2009 3:05:33 PM

Guru3D has some comparisons of an engineering sample. It is not quite as fast as a 4850, but is notably quicker than a 4670.
March 24, 2009 11:37:18 PM

the 5000 series wont be out before october november. Its more than 6 months probably. Its not worth it to wait for so long, my Suggestion is , get the 4850 or the new 4750 (when its out, early May). you can always upgrade next year if you find need.
a c 196 U Graphics card
March 25, 2009 12:41:27 AM

^+1
March 25, 2009 2:04:00 AM

Onus said:
Guru3D has some comparisons of an engineering sample. It is not quite as fast as a 4850, but is notably quicker than a 4670.

Is it the 4770, 4750, or both that are slower than the 4850? I'm considering if I should buy a 4850 now or wait a bit.
March 25, 2009 2:38:43 AM

The 4770 and 4750 haven't actually been released yet, so we can't be sure of their performance, but I think they're due out very soon, so waiting probably wouldn't hurt.
a c 106 U Graphics card
March 25, 2009 3:06:55 AM

Basically the RV740 will be a little faster than the Radeon 4830, well the top model 740 anway, which is way faster than the 8600GT you have right now. If you had like 9600 GSO or a Radeon 3850 I'd say you may wanna wait till the R870, but considering you have an 8600GT I'd say you've waited long enough :) . It's up to you of course.
a c 196 U Graphics card
March 25, 2009 9:15:54 AM

Yes, anything you'd buy now would be a big jump; hard to lose.
March 26, 2009 4:22:39 AM

Wait for DX 11 since it could come only within 5 months and DX 10/10.1 could be obsolete soon. DX 10 cards would still work but the problem is you could not play DX 11 games with full DX 11 features. You can still play the games however but not as DX 11 games but as DX 10 games. If you wanted to play DX 11 games or be able to use full DX 11 features then you need to wait for DX 11 GPUs. This would also future proof yourself for the next 2-3 years which means that your video card is able to work fully well with future DX 11 games and future product features which may also use OpenCL. Personally, I've been waiting for 1 year and I am still building my PC. I have no problem at all.
March 26, 2009 4:25:05 AM

PS: RV740 and RV790 are just fillers for the gap between DX 10 and DX 11 generations so I would not even waist my money for that. ATI did that just to respond to NVIDIA's Geforce GTX 285 and Geforce GTX 295.
March 26, 2009 9:28:00 AM

However you should choose 256 bit memory interface.Coz Fast Gpu just let you can play High graphic game but may be not smooth
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 27, 2009 12:49:37 PM

Cant see the point of waiting for a DX11 card, unless you know of any must have games in the works that are DX11 only ? How mant DX10 only games are there, just to be clear thats games coded specifically for DX10, not DX9 games with DX10 features sprinckled on like Crysis.

The 256bit interface vs 128bit dosent really matter, ATI are giving some of the new cards GDDR5 which more than makes up for the lost bandwidth. Also the existing 4670 (128 bit)has only GDDR3 but is a slightly better performer than the 3850 (256 bit). The differance is made up inthe clock speed i beleive.

Mactronix
April 16, 2009 10:47:26 PM

I was looking into the future and I was talking about future proofing yourself for the next 2-3 years or when there are many DX 11 games in the market. If you look just to play current DX 10 games in the present then it is ok to go with DX 10 card but that will not future proof you for the next 2-3 yrs. You will still stuck with DX 10 and not be able to use full DX 11 features with current DX 10 cards (even if it will still allow you to play future games). That is my point.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2009 12:49:30 AM

There's no such thing as future proofing. The technology changes too quickly.
April 17, 2009 12:57:00 AM

RazberyBandit said:
There's no such thing as future proofing. The technology changes too quickly.

Yes you can future proof yourself with DX 11 for the next 2-3 years or before newer tech like DX 12 comes out. ;) 

So you can fully use future full DX 11 features as well as OpenCL without any problem.

Certainly, I did not say that DX 11 is not going to be obsolete, someday it would but it would still work totally well for the next 2-3 years or before DX 12 comes out. You see what meant?

I meant future proofing ourselves for next 2-3 years only before DX 12 comes out. It would be a no brainer to get something that would be obsolete within only 5 months when newer tech comes out or something that could not work 100% well for the next 2-3 years unless if you cannot wait until newer tech comes out. Personally I have no problem about waiting for DX 11 and I am still doing it for the sake of future proofing myself for the next 2-3 years so that I can enjoy full DX 11 games and joining the new graphics era of DX 11. Isn't wonderful? :bounce: 

Of course, it is still my personal prediction that DX 11 can live for another 2-3 years and that DX 10 would be obsolete soon (I hope but I don't guarantee anyone) but this is still a reasonable good advice I could give to anyone.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2009 1:42:01 AM

Ummm... sure... OK...

You could purchase a DX11 card as soon as they come out and yes, it will work in DX11 for it's entire life. However, no card's hardware performance on it's release is going to be on-par with newer, top-performing cards that come 6 months from then, let alone a year later and beyond. Therefore, no video card, nor any computer hardware at all, is ever "future-proof." Eventually, there comes a time where all video cards cannot perform at acceptable speeds, and the length of time seems to be growing shorter and shorter with how quickly computer technology has been advancing over recent years. It was the hardware to which I was referring, not the DirectX version.

Did the elongated version of what I said at first explain it any better?
April 17, 2009 3:41:28 AM

It all depends on your perception of "acceptable speeds". My X850XT lasted me till last Fall.

But it's true. Waiting to buy a DX11 card is silly because by the time games really use DX11, a much better DX11 card will be out, that will perform better. While waiting may be a good thing, waiting just because the next generation will have a new DX version is not optimal.

Though, more programmable shaders might let a DX11 card be usable in a similar manner as Nvidia's for Physx, a second (possibly) lesser card used as a physics/secondary processing unit. But I haven't actually heard about that, just an idea from what I do know.
April 17, 2009 5:00:15 PM

Well, certainly that we could not future proof ourselves forever but we can still future proof ourselves for certain period of time. I agree that no product can future proof ourselves forever.

I don't think that waiting for DX 11 is silly because it is just a matter of waiting for only about 5 months before DX 11 comes out. I have no problem with waiting. Waiting for only about 5 months in order to get newer tech is definitely not silly. It does not even matter when DX 11 games comes out but is a matter of saving money and choosing a product that can last much longer.

Actually, it is the opposite, it is actually silly not to save money and buy now and not to wait for a newer tech that is about to come out soon. Not to also mention that ATI and NVIDIA are currently rehashing the old tech again and again that I would not certainly buy like the HD 4890 and GTX 275 before they release the newer tech to customers. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2009 7:20:15 PM

nvm, O.P. doesn't need this thread anymore.
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 17, 2009 7:58:12 PM

Techno-boy said:
Well, certainly that we could not future proof ourselves forever but we can still future proof ourselves for certain period of time. I agree that no product can future proof ourselves forever.

I don't think that waiting for DX 11 is silly because it is just a matter of waiting for only about 5 months before DX 11 comes out. I have no problem with waiting. Waiting for only about 5 months in order to get newer tech is definitely not silly. It does not even matter when DX 11 games comes out but is a matter of saving money and choosing a product that can last much longer.

Actually, it is the opposite, it is actually silly not to save money and buy now and not to wait for a newer tech that is about to come out soon. Not to also mention that ATI and NVIDIA are currently rehashing the old tech again and again that I would not certainly buy like the HD 4890 and GTX 275 before they release the newer tech to customers. ;) 

Really only 5 months ? Where did you hear that ?

Mactronix
April 17, 2009 8:45:29 PM

You're going to buy DX11 hardware in 5 months.... which is 99% likely to be directly after it comes out..... and you're telling me you're saving money?

Law #1. To save money, never buy the cutting edge.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2009 8:52:45 PM

Well someone (dont remember) brought up a great point. How many games even use DX10, forget using it in its entirety, we've got brand new games that are still using DX9! Well, i'm going to get my "cash injection" around early November so i have to wait anyways. Also lets not forget, the new gfx cards then might under perform DX11. that's always a possibility with a new gfx API
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 7:41:47 PM

Im wondering what the performance curve is like when comparing cards in XP vs Vista. I mean sure they run DX9 fine but is there a performance differance between DX9 on vista and DX9 on XP ?

Cards these days seem more optimised to run DX10 and it occurs to me that there could well be a serious performance hit between DX9 under XP and DX10.1/11.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me ? Links etc.

Mactronix
April 18, 2009 8:46:25 PM

mactronix said:
Really only 5 months ? Where did you hear that ?

Mactronix

From ATI's Roadmap for 2009 and Microsoft's roadmap about DX 11 and Windows 7 might be release in 2009. There is still a high possibility that DX 11 could come by Late June 2009 or perhaps in Q3 2009 and ATI might be the first one to release DX 11 before NVIDIA does with GT300.

But I don't know how legitimate these roadmaps are. That is why I am predicting that DX 11 might come in by as early as mid 2009 but I don't guarantee anyone.

However, this depends also on the Original Poster's decision on whether he will wait or buy now and this is just my opinion and I will still wait until DX 11 video card comes out since I am interested in DX 11 graphics and I don't wanna miss new DX 11 era of graphics. I also would never spend for the current old tech that were rehashed again and again and I will save more money.

It is a possiblilty.

PS:

Not to also mention that Windows 7 beta and DX 11 beta are already released and that Microsoft sent technical preview of DX 11 to ATI and NVIDIA since last November of 2008 so I bet that ATI and NVIDIA already has DX 11 GPU in their hands but except they wanted them to go in mass production much later.
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 9:38:06 PM

The reason i asked was because from what i have read they are looking at later in the year, W7 may be out this year and i would have thought that when it comes out so will DX11.
Like you say its all here say but 5 months is sooner than anything i had heard before.

Guess we wait and see My guess November 2009 along with DX11 for W7 and maybe some DX11 capable cards in Q4. Hope im wrong but thats my guess on it :) 

Mactronix
April 18, 2009 10:05:35 PM

mactronix said:
The reason i asked was because from what i have read they are looking at later in the year, W7 may be out this year and i would have thought that when it comes out so will DX11.
Like you say its all here say but 5 months is sooner than anything i had heard before.

Guess we wait and see My guess November 2009 along with DX11 for W7 and maybe some DX11 capable cards in Q4. Hope im wrong but thats my guess on it :) 

Mactronix

Maybe you are right or maybe I am right but however, it is not a matter of who is right and who is wrong about when DX 11 comes out but it is also a matter of who can wait longer and what kind of video card you are currently using and how much money you wanna burn.

Personally, I still can hold my breath a bit longer because I am currently using Geforce 8400M on my notebook PC so I am fine with my Geforce 8400M which is also a DX 10 video card but some other people might have more money to burn and upgrade their card much faster than I do. Since I already have DX 10 card, I am expecting to upgrade to DX 11 which would make it as bigger upgrade and would make more sense. (Regardless to that, I don't even know what previous video card that the Original Poster was using before he bought HD 4850) :) 

I wish that I am rich so that I can upgrade my video card in every single year or in every 5 months. :D  Lol!
April 19, 2009 6:33:15 AM

I had an 8600GT DDR2. It sucked. Even in CoD4. That's why I got the 4850 and except for a few stability issues, I'm totally fine with it. This is the first time I've actually bought a card that is not LOWWWWW end. Anyway, even if DX11 comes in Q3, and they release Vista SP2 by then, what is the point of getting a DX11 card then? If wiki is right, DX10 was released in Q4 2006. Crysis (I think its the first DX10 game) was released in Q4 2007. If the same pattern is followed, it might well be Q4 2010 before the first DX11 game is released. So I just got a card now. May not even upgrade for DX11 (hoping DX11 games are backward compatible with DX10)
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 7:06:19 PM

Techno-boy said:
Maybe you are right or maybe I am right but however, it is not a matter of who is right and who is wrong about when DX 11 comes out but it is also a matter of who can wait longer and what kind of video card you are currently using and how much money you wanna burn.

Personally, I still can hold my breath a bit longer because I am currently using Geforce 8400M on my notebook PC so I am fine with my Geforce 8400M which is also a DX 10 video card but some other people might have more money to burn and upgrade their card much faster than I do. Since I already have DX 10 card, I am expecting to upgrade to DX 11 which would make it as bigger upgrade and would make more sense. (Regardless to that, I don't even know what previous video card that the Original Poster was using before he bought HD 4850) :) 

I wish that I am rich so that I can upgrade my video card in every single year or in every 5 months. :D  Lol!

Just wanted the OP to know that 5 months may be a bit premature, i cant even wait the couple of weeks untill the replacement 4830 comes out.

Mactronix
April 19, 2009 10:53:45 PM

Anyway, enjoy your new HD 4850! Good luck! :D 
April 20, 2009 3:17:23 AM

May 14, 2009 9:45:34 PM

Techno-Boy, I may be reviving an old thread, but you are incredibly wrong about so many things in your post. If you actually did some research on DirectX 11, you would know that it is basically all the important features that directX 10.1 already has, and ATI already has prepared. Windows dumbed down DirectX 10 so nVidia could comply with the restrictions.

ATI basically already has DirectX 11 cards out right now (hardware wise). Additionally, You could get a medium range card right now, say the GTX 275 for $280 which would play all your games at high resolution and high everything and then, a couple years down the road, when DirectX games are actually availalble, you could upgrade your card to a WAY better "DirectX11" card than you would have originally bought "right when it came out" which is usually the absolute worst time to buy any piece of electronic hardware, ever. Value/Revisions etc...
July 10, 2009 1:23:22 PM

Sorry if this is too late to reply to Aftermath.

Well, I heard the opposite things from you Aftermath.

You are plain wrong, actually DX 11 games could come out in Q3 2009 because many game developers are interested in using the new DX 11 features and they quickly switching from DX 10.1 to DX 11 and I read this from many articles.

Like I said, I already have Geforce 8400M so I don't definitely need a GTX 275 which is just a rehash of old tech. Why getting something that is about to be obsolete? It might be worth for you to get GTX 275 only if you have a very old video card and if you cannot hold your breath but that does not mean that it is worth for everyone. I would rather skip the HD 4000 series and GTX 200 series and get a DX 11 GPU which is about to be release soon. I think that's a better move.

Now, there is no innovation from ATI and NVIDIA but only until newer generation DX 11 video cards comes out and you would see old tech being rehashed again and again during these days. It would be stupid for me to invest for the old tech since the new tech is about to come into play in the market and of course, as I mentioned earlier, I am not definitely rich to upgrade my video card in every 5 months. :ouch: 

Also, driver issues with early hardware isn't a big deal for me because it is just a temporary issue and ATI and NVIDIA will fix them soon and you will still have better performance with newer DX 11 card than with your GTX 275 and you would be able to play DX 11 games for the next 2-3 years. Despite the possible driver issue with early hardware, when new DX 11 cards comes out, I bet that most people would not certainly get GTX 275. GTX 275 might still allow you to play the future games but it would not fully work with DX 11 so it is like you are stuck with DX 10 games and you are just playing another DX 10 game and not really DX 11 game. You won't manage to see full DX 11 graphics from your game either and plus, spending $280. That would be the consequences for getting GTX 275 now and that would be your fate. :ouch: 

I am fine with Geforce 8400M and I will stick with it until DX 11 GPU comes out. It might be wise for you to get GTX 275 but not for everyone. Anyway, thanks for your silly advice...

Good Luck and enjoy your GTX 275! :) 
!