DVD drive freezes computer

Hello everyone!

I just received a Dell Precision WS 490 computer. When I tried to load MS Office, the DVD drive malfunctions and freezes the entire computer. The drive is TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]. IDE drive. Here is a step by step sequence:

1. OS Windows Vista Business SP2 - Device Manager says DVD drive working properly.
2. Ran Virus check - no problems reported (Microsoft Security Essentials)
3. Opened Windows Explorer, clicked on DVD drive - the drive (coffee cup holder) opens - asked to insert readable DVD
4. Inserted MS Office DVD (CD?) - manually closed DVD drive tray.
5. DVD drive activity light comes ON - no evidence (sound) of DVD drive running.
6. Even though DVD is highlighted in Windows Explorer, Win Explorer is searching some other folder (I know this is strange, but this is what actually happens).
7. After about 5 minutes and no folders/files are read on the DVD, the entire computer freezes; even the computer clock freezes.
8. Waited for 15 minutes to see whether some error message would be outputted. No error message, but computer still frozen. DVD activity light still blinking. No DVD read.
9. Manually opened the DVD drive.
10. Immediately, the computer re-boots.

I tried using different DVDs. No change in the outcome. Updated the firmware - no change in outcome.

I tried to delete 'Upper & Lower Filters' using Microsoft Fix-It. Computer freezes after about 5 minutes.

During startup, I see a message "AHCI BIOS not installed" - don't know the relevance of this message.

I do intend contacting Dell on this, but I thought that I should try and get some expert opinions from this forum. Thank you everyone for your input.

Solution
Make sure you data and power cables are securely attached to the optical drive and motherboard, as appropriate. It is likely that you optical drive is defective and needs replaced if the connections are good to go. You can swap data cables, if you have one, but not much else to do here. Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Make sure you data and power cables are securely attached to the optical drive and motherboard, as appropriate. It is likely that you optical drive is defective and needs replaced if the connections are good to go. You can swap data cables, if you have one, but not much else to do here. Good luck!

Solution

Dell is sending me a replacement DVD drive. I verified that the drive connectors are mated well.

Thank you for your response.