Lock-ups and Memory Errors!

starmage21

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I'm running an ASRock P43Twins1600 along with a 2.83Ghz Core 2 Quad & 4GB of DDR3 with Windows XP Professional w/SP3.

((now that my system specs are basically out of the way...))

Ive had a lot of trouble with my RAM and Motherboard combo the past few months. It started with some OCZ Reaper memory that I got when I put my machine together, and I experienced blue screens and fatal errors in relatively intensive games like World of Warcraft and Battlefield 2 & 2142. After a bunch of memory tests (windows memory tester from microsoft.com and the test from memtest.org) OCZ said it was time to RMA the stuff. They send me a new set of OCZ Platinum, and its 4GB to make up for the difference in quality (Specific Part number OCZ3p13334gk)

I get my new RAM, only to find that a slot on my motherboard has gone bad((both chips worked in one slot but not the other)). I RMA the motherboard. ASRock sends me an identical board.

So I install the new RAM, and it refuses to run at specs. After some fiddling, I got it to run at some drastically different settings than it was made for (specifically 8-8-8-24 and tRFC of 78 @ 1.53 volts), but it would not run at any other specs without instant errors in the test from memtest.org(and it even ran overnight with no troubles). Long story short, we RMA'd the stuff again.
((The whole spiel is here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59780))

I got another identical set of OCZ3P13334GK and I couldnt even get it to run like the previous set. I figured that maybe my board just wouldnt run the stuff. Yanked it, and bought some kingston stuff. (KVR1066D3N7K2/4G).

It runs! It runs without errors! Thing is, now my computer locks up whenever its under stress. Memtest.org's test will run for about 2.5 hours at 7-7-7-21 @ 1.47 volts before it locks. Prime95 runs for a few minutes tops before my machine locks up. WoW will run for a couple hours before it errors out with a fatal error, and America's Army 3 runs until it has to load a new map before it has a fatal error and windows closes it.

Any thoughts?

Additionally is it possible that windows & or drivers are farked? I mean, I installed my OS on the bad OCZ Reaper stuff and it turned out to be bad, so there are bound to be small errors littered around the OS install and probobly the drivers too.
Thoughts on this?

starmage21

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

It never ran at 1.8v at all. At 1.83V my system wouldnt even boot, and at 1.76V it didnt run well.

My new stuff seems to run without actual errors showing up on the memtest, but my system is still locking up mysteriously when under stress.

I've still got the OCZ stuff sitting in it's package, though.

starmage21

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Oh, thats the stuff that I started with. It absolutely will NOT run at 1.83V and wont run under stress at 1.76V. On the OCZ Forums I was told to set tRFC to 88 but my board only goes to 78 at maximum.

I couldnt get the stuff to run right at all, so I bought some Kingston stuff. Now it will run, but I get the mysterious lockups.