New pc build won't even power on...at all. :(

pixelcide

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
hi everyone. I thought i would post a thread to see if anyone can help me out with my setup im building. I seem to have hit a brick wall here. I cannot get it to power up. It has yet to power up....for any amount of time.

First off, all the parts besides my power supply and network adapter are brand new. I'll try my best to give all the specifications i can.
Second, im not a total newbie to this. I've built 2 systems before, both worked perfectly and i had no problems.

These are the parts i'm using:

- 600 watt Xion power supply (taken from my previous system, never had a single problem from it)
- Intel i7 2.66 Ghz processor
- Intel DX58SO motherboard (the only i7 compatible motherboard from Intel as of now)
- 3 sticks of G Skill 2GB DD3 1600 ram (voltage is 1.5V - 1.6 V, claims to be fully compatible with i7 machines)
- Thermaltake Ultra-120 extreme cpu fan
- ATI HD 4870 graphics card
- Pioneer sata dvd burner
- 2 Western Digital 750 Gig sata hard drives
- Xclio Wind Tunnel case
- my old network adapter

Heres a summary of what i did to put it together

- screwed in my power supply
- installed the ram and cpu to the motherboard
- put a tiny bit of thermal grease on the cpu and installed the cpu fan (its bolted to the motherboard)
- screwed in the motherboard. every single hole has a screw attaching it to the case.
- installed video card and network adapter
- installed the hard drives and burner

plugged in the 4 pin power connector to everything that needs one. made sure cpu fan is plugged into the motherboard, installed all the connectors from the case (they appear all correct) to the motherboard. plugged in all the fans, plugged in the power supply to the motherboard.

now, for a little more detail on the power supply. The mobo has a 12x2 connection which matches my psu plug. it clicks in perfect. the cpu connector on the mobo is 2x4 while my psu has a 2x2 plug for that. From what ive read, it will still work because they both deliver 12 volts, so the 2x2 plug is plugged into the right side of the 2x4 spot. theres also another standard 4 pin power connector plugged into the mobo for extra power (its optional)

At this point I plug in the cable to the back of the psu, make sure the switch is in the on position and test it out. I press the power button on the front of the case and nothing. No noise, no fans, nothing. I can see the power light on the mobo lit up green so its receiving power but it refuses to show any signs of booting.

I try holding down the power button, nothing
I try hitting the reset button, nothing
I try unplugging the reset switch and hitting power, nothing

very irritating

i check the cables for the front connectors, specifically the one for the power button. Its plugged in, seems fine.
I try hitting the power button on the mobo itself, nothing
I check all my connections and everything is plugged in that should be

At this point i feel like throwing it out the window, but instead i visit Intel tech support

We go through all the pieces to see what could cause it, and his conclusion is the 2x2 connector is causing it. He claims that the mobo will fail to boot unless it has a 2x4 plug (It says that in a pdf for the intel mobo). This doesnt seem to sound that crazy, but it seems to be the opposite of what everyone else says in various computer forums. Online the general consensus is, it will work fine with a 2x2 plug. I'm also wondering how that would account for no lights and no fans coming on (even for half a second when i press power).

At this point i'm considering my options for what i should do. I've ordered an adapter for the 2x2 plug, but it seems like that i'snt the solution.

The only things i can think of are

- the psu i'snt powerful enough. although 600 watts isn't exactly low. wouldn't it at least show a sliver of life too?

- the mobo is DOA. even though its brand new and has a power light that lights up whenever its plugged in.

now both options seem kind of painful.

If the mobo is dead then i have unbuild my system, mail it off for a replacement and build it again.

If the psu isnt good enough i have to buy another one which means over $100 at least.

So before i do anything rash, id like to get some ppl's opinions on what they think it could be. Let me know what you think, especially if youve had a similar situation. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me.

falconerh92

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I think it could be the PSU ive just finished building my rig and from what people said to me the 1000w I put in was plenty for my GTX295 and P6T deluxe + i7 920. Most people reommened 850w so Id say if that would run my rig then youd need something like that because my GTX 295 doesnt need a extra 250w on yours does it?

XSmax

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I had this exact same problem. Switch around the polarity of your cables that run from your case to your motherboard (PWR LED, HDD LED, PWR SWT, etc). I had the polarity wrong for my power switch and nothing would power on. Double check the manual for your motherboard on plugging in case cables.

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
If I read your post right the board has 8-pin 12V connector and your PSU has a P4 12v, and you're going to put another P4 adapter on a 4pin Molex? So all 8 12v pins will be connected to the power supply? If that's not the case, I'd say that sounds like your problem right there. Get yourself a beefier PSU with an 8pin 12V connector. (The Corsair 850TX has one).

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
XSmax makes a good point also... the painfully simple is often overlooked. Check that you've got the case panel hooked up correctly (usually black is negative but check your case manual).

This wouldn't be the first out-of-box failure on a mobo, so that is entirely possible. You could RMA the board before buying a new PSU.

pixelcide

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
thanks for all the replies folks.

i've checked the front connectors and it has no way of knowing if the plug end is + or -, so i basically tried them both ways and got nothing either way.

I've ordered a new PSU. What a coincidence, I ordered the 850 watt Corsair PSU before I even saw it mentioned on here. Great minds think alike i guess. :D

In the meantime, while i'm waiting for that PSU to ship from newegg, i've purchased an 850 watt PSU from bestbuy, which i'm going to use to test it with just to see if thats the problem. When i get the corsair in the mail, ill just return it to bestbuy. (i know, thats so evil)

I'm in the middle of installing it now and i've seen and heard the cpu fan come on so i'm making progress. I'll post a little later and let you guys know if it completely solves the problem or not.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I'm curious to see if its that plug or not, but if the manual says to.... The last couple mobos i've bought have actually had a cover over the 'extra' 4 pins, so I've never actually used all 8 here myself...

pixelcide

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
success!

The new psu works fine. Plugged it all in and the whole thing comes up perfectly. Windows 7 beta installed off a burnt dvd in literally 15 minutes.

I couldn't say if it was the plug or not. New powerful psu has a 2x4 plug that i used. If i had to guess i'd say it was because of the extra wattage of the psu that makes it work now.

Thanks again to everyone that helped me out. Now i have to figure out what to do with my old rig.

Also, if anyone is looking for a quiet and powerful case, i highly recommend the xclio wind tunnel case that i bought. It has to be the quietest rig i've ever heard. When i enter the room, i keep thinking from the sound that its not on until i look at it and notice that it is in fact on.

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009

Good job finding the problem! Enjoy the hell outta that victory!