Sign in with
Your question

How Do you remove the stock cooler?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2009 10:13:57 AM

I recently ordered the Thermalright Rad2 for my VisionTech Radeon 4870, and have a question of getting the dual slot cooler off, and if there would be anything I should watch out for while removing it and applying the new cooler on the video card. I will have dual 92mm delta fans on it at max speed of 4200rpm and max cfm of 96 per fan.

More about : remove stock cooler

March 24, 2009 3:28:56 PM

yes...you remove it with a screw driver.

but since you ask that question we understand from you that this is your first time removing cooler from the graphic card and installing a new one i recommend you to ask a professional to do it for you or be with you to assist you since you never did this b4.....
March 24, 2009 7:56:24 PM

Quote:
Really? Why?

Removing a cooler from my limited experience of my x1900's i had wasn't hard.

Literally remove the screws and take it off. Since all coolers will use the reference points of the default cooler there is not much difference between taking off the old one and putting on a new one, correct me if i am wrong.

Nothing is hard if You know how to do it.

In general removing and installing is very easy and simple and you install the new one similar to the way the default one was installed just like you said.

but some 1 who doesn't know how to remove the default cooling system, how will he cope with installing a Bigger fan?
Related resources
March 24, 2009 8:00:11 PM

Nothing complicated.

- Remove stock heatsink
- clean GPU and Memory chips from old paste/thermal tape
- apply new Thermal Paste
- attach new memory heatsinks
- attach the new GPU Cooler

Voala , you are done
March 24, 2009 9:11:20 PM

Removing it will depend on exactly which cooler it is.
In general;
1; USE A GOOD SCREWDRIVER THAT FITS WELL. A cheap screwdrive may slip and damage a tight screw making it very hard to remove or, worse, slip and wreck the card.
2; Remove the sticker if the cooler is a two-slot with a fan at one end that blows along a shroud or covering, sometimes you`ll find a screw hidden under the sticker.
3; Take all the screws off the `top` first, sometimes screws are placed under the top cover (which had the sticker on it).
4; Most are finally held in place by four screws under the card which screw down onto an X shaped metal spring. This is the most hazardous part of the operation because the circuit board has no protection, if the screwdriver slips it will sever the fine traces on the surface and may even tear small components off the card, destroying it totally.
5; Do n`t forget to disconnect the fan wiring.
6; Do n`t try to prise it off with anything metal, just use your fingers and firm effort.
To remove the old thermal compound (usually a grey gunk on the big chip) use pure alcohol (either Isopropyl Alcohol or Surgical Spirit) to moisten a paper towel and wipe the gunk off by sweeping it inwards, towards the centre of the chip. If any gets onto the circuit board remove it using a cotton bud, moistened in alcohol.
Finally, remove any material sticking to the memory chips and clean them with another towel moistened with alcohol.
March 25, 2009 6:53:01 AM

This is the cooler that I will be putting on the video card when it comes in the mail. But why is it important to take off the thermal paste that is on the chips? Isn't thermalpaste good?

March 25, 2009 12:08:52 PM

Well your heatsink should come with its own tube of thermal paste or it should be preapplied on the heasink base, so you want to remove all that old stuff from your stock heatsink before you apply the new one.
March 25, 2009 4:30:20 PM

The old paste will, almost certainly have `cured` by now, which means it will have hardened somewhat, leaving a rough and highly uneven surface which will prevent good contact between the new heatsink and the chips.
March 26, 2009 3:35:52 AM

Well thank you guys I got it all figured out and got it up and operational in my computer now. I had to adjust the fast RPMs down to 2700 to a more comfortable noise level and even at that speed it does a far better job cooling it down. I would recommend this solution for all your 4870 people thinking of upgrading from thier stock cooler, pricy, but very effective design. At full loads at 4200 RPM i was having temps at 38 degrees and at 2700 at 46 which is about half I was getting from the stock cooler. I give this an A+ thanx for your help.
!