Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Q6600 with 1066mhz ram

Last response: in Overclocking
September 26, 2010 3:16:23 AM

Hello all,

I am new to overclocking, but have done quite a bit of reading. I have some questions that I would like to call educated. First off, specs.

Asus P5B
2x2gig Gskill 1066 DDR2
Intel Q6600 2.4 ghz quadcore
EVGA Superclocked gtx460 1gig
Antec 900 case
windows 7 64bit
arctic 7 cpu cooler
650watt ocz psu

So, I just got the cooler and card, so i wont be able to install those until monday, but before they arrive I would like to seek some guidance on overlcocking my cpu/memory so i know what to do when they get here. I will list what im going to adjust my settings to, and some questions I have with the changes.

I would like an overclock of 3.2ghz, so do I just attempt to do that and if it doesnt work, change it up?

Timing 5-5-5-15
FSB 533mhz x2 = 1066mhz.
These two values are for the memory, are they really changable? I mean, is there any reason to not set them to what your ram speed/frequency is?

FSB - 355mhz x 9 = 3195mhz
Interms of the cpu/ram divider, i assume im supposed to shoot for 1066mhz to match the ram, but im not sure if thats right. i guess thats a question of synchronus vs asynchronus. im not sure how big a heat/energy disadvantage asynchronus is.

Im not really sure what to do with NB and ICH vcores. i read in the overclocking tutorial here that I might need to up them in order to get the 1066 to work properly, but im not sure how to do that or what it really means.

in terms of vcore i assume im supposed to leave it on auto and get a stable oc and then back it off until its unstable and then increase a little to be stable. I know about testing with prime 95.

are there are setting im missing? replies are greatly appreciated.
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 26, 2010 4:50:09 AM

shallowjam said:

I would like an overclock of 3.2ghz, so do I just attempt to do that and if it doesnt work, change it up?

Timing 5-5-5-15
FSB 533mhz x2 = 1066mhz.
These two values are for the memory, are they really changable? I mean, is there any reason to not set them to what your ram speed/frequency is?

FSB - 355mhz x 9 = 3195mhz
Interms of the cpu/ram divider, i assume im supposed to shoot for 1066mhz to match the ram, but im not sure if thats right. i guess thats a question of synchronus vs asynchronus. im not sure how big a heat/energy disadvantage asynchronus is.

First of all, you do not need DDR2-1066 RAM. The probability of getting your FSB freq over 400 MHz (DDR2-800 speeds) is very small.

Second, your limiting factor will be the AC7FP cooler. You probably won't be able to get much past 3.3 GHz with decent load temps.

The stock FSB freq of a Q6600 is 266 MHz. So allyou will need at stock is DDR2-533 RAM. There is little to no benefit in overclocking RAM on a Core2 system.

I always go for a 1:1 FSB:RAM (sychronomous) ratio. The big disadvantage tooverclocking RAM is not heat or energy. It is a contributiontoward instability.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

I have a similar system. Load temps went up to the mid-60's C at 3.3 GHz (367 MHz X 9) with an AC7FP cooler. Didn't reach 3.6 GHz until I put a Xig Dark Knight on it.

Keep your core voltage under 1.5 volts and your load temps under 70 C. 65 C would be better.

m
l
September 26, 2010 5:02:39 AM

Not really too interested in a huge overclock. From what I have read I wont be able to get much past 3.2ghz if i spent twice as much on a cooler. I got the one i did for ease of install, and as a good middle ground. Im not really prepared to do the tweaking required to get a 2.4ghz to 3.6ghz stable. Im just looking for a bit more out of an old processor.

I already have the 1066 ram, I got it on sale for cheap so I picked it up. Is having it instead of 800 going to be a disadvantage? my mobo supports 1066.

I would be completely happy with 3.2ghz at <70*.

I have read the toms hardware guide but have trouble finding guides on the p5b. there are a few on the p5b deluxe. will the bios be the same insofar as whats required for this oc?

should i leave the vcore as auto after adjusting all the settings to see if its stable first? and then if it is go back and try to get it as low as possible? or take a chance and guess at what i think it should be?
m
l
Related resources
September 26, 2010 4:45:48 PM

also, I am a bit confused on the relationship between fsb and DRAM. I have heard that a 1:1 ratio is a must, but have seen many systems using 4:5 and 5:6. for example, there is a large section on oc'ing the q6600 here on tomshardware using both 4:5 and 5:6. In order to run my ram at 1066 and cpu at 3.2ghz, what ratio is that? im a bit confused by the whole thing. im guessing the ratio i would want for 1066 and 3.2ghz would be 2:3? 533 (x2 = 1066mhz) for the ram and 355 (x9 = 3.2) for the cpu. that would be a ratio of 1:1.5, so 2:3? does that make sense? is that acceptable to do?
m
l
September 27, 2010 2:15:58 AM

or would it be better to do x6 with 533 as to maintain the 1:1 ratio?
what affect does timing have on everything?
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 28, 2010 8:25:09 PM

If you already have the 1066 RAM, go ahead and use it.

I got my Q6600 up to 3.6 GHz, 24 hour Prime95 stable with a $40 cooler. Even a mediocre cooler such as the AC7FP should get you to 3.3 GHz.

I always run my RAM at a 1:1 ratio. The problem with trying to run the FSB at 533 MHz is that you probably cannot.
m
l
September 28, 2010 8:57:37 PM

> FSB 533mhz x2 = 1066mhz

That formula is somewhat misleading, imho.

Intel's FSB is "quad-pumped".

Thus, using CPU-Z nomenclature:

Bus Speed = 200 MHz x 4 = 800 MHz Rated FSB
Bus Speed = 266 MHz x 4 = 1066 MHz Rated FSB
Bus Speed = 333 MHz x 4 = 1333 MHz Rated FSB
Bus Speed = 400 MHz x 4 = 1600 MHz Rated FSB

Q6600's max stock multipler is 9x.

Thus,
Bus Speed = 200 MHz x 9 = 1.8 GHz Core Speed
Bus Speed = 266 MHz x 9 = 2.4 GHz Core Speed
Bus Speed = 333 MHz x 9 = 3.0 GHz Core Speed
Bus Speed = 400 MHz x 9 = 3.6 GHz Core Speed

It is not absolutely necessary to achieve a 1 : 1 FSB : DRAM ratio,
because Intel's chipsets can run AOK in "asynchronous" mode
(i.e. NOT 1 : 1) e.g. a ratio of 400 : 533 should work fine
as long as your BIOS and chipset can run the DRAM frequency
at that speed.

I would start out with 400 : 400, however, because your RAM
should have no problem running at a frequency that is
below its rated DRAM speed.

I'm not entirely familiar with the P5B, but you should read
your User Manual carefully, in particular where it discusses
the pertinent BIOS settings for FSB and DRAM.

On our ASUS P5W64 WS Professional with Q6600 CPU,
our FSB : DRAM ratio is 333.5 : 416.8 by using one
of the pre-set Overclock Profiles in the BIOS.

Thus, our Q6600 alternates between 2.0 and 3.0 GHz
using that pre-set Overclock Profile of "FSB1333/DDR2-834"
and enabling SpeedStep.

In our User Manual, this setting is documented under
the "Jumperfree Configuration" in the BIOS.

I hope this helps.

MRFS

m
l
September 28, 2010 9:07:20 PM

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5B/e2620...

On Page 4-18, it says:

"The values range from 100 to 400."

That is the "Bus Speed" using CPU-Z nomenclature (see above).

So, according to the ASUS User Manual for the P5B,
you can manually adjust the Rated FSB to a maximum
of 400 MHz x 4 = 1600 MHz.

Also, on Page 4-17, it appears that DDR2-800 is the maximum setting
for your DRAM (i.e. 400 MHz DRAM Frequency x 2 Double Data Rate).

MRFS
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 10:52:03 PM

MRFS said:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5B/e2620...

On Page 4-18, it says:

"The values range from 100 to 400."

That is the "Bus Speed" using CPU-Z nomenclature (see above).

So, according to the ASUS User Manual for the P5B,
you can manually adjust the Rated FSB to a maximum
of 400 MHz x 4 = 1600 MHz.

Also, on Page 4-17, it appears that DDR2-800 is the maximum setting
for your DRAM (i.e. 400 MHz DRAM Frequency x 2 Double Data Rate).

MRFS
Don't take what the manual says to heart. I've had my P5B-Deluxe beyond 400MHz plenty of times (my manual says 100-400 too). I used to run at 429MHz with my old E6300. Funny thing about this board is that it actually gets more stable at 401MHz than 400MHz because of the boot strap change.
m
l
October 2, 2010 2:48:30 AM

Ok, was finally messing around in BIOS tonight and am thoroughly confused.

I put the ratio at 9x and the frequency at 355. that should be a CPU speed of 3.2 but CPU-Z said it was a FSB of 333 and multiplier of 6 and that the CPU was at 1.997ghz.
also, couldnt get the ram to go above 1000mhz. it worked when i set it to 667mhz in BIOS but then in CPUZ it said it was at 333, with a 1:1 ratio with the FSB:D RAM.
soooo confused. I couldnt find anywhere in my bios to configure the ratio between FSB:D RAM. what am i missing?
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 2, 2010 6:36:41 AM

I put the ratio at 9x and the frequency at 355. that should be a CPU speed of 3.2 but CPU-Z said it was a FSB of 333 and multiplier of 6 and that the CPU was at 1.997ghz. said:

I put the ratio at 9x and the frequency at 355. that should be a CPU speed of 3.2 but CPU-Z said it was a FSB of 333 and multiplier of 6 and that the CPU was at 1.997ghz.

The "set FSB at 355, CPU-Z at 333" is a function of what Asus calls "strapping". Google it. I use Gigabyte motherboards almost exclusively and they do something different in the BIOS so I cannot help you with this. The CPU speed at 2 GHz is because of something called "SpeedStep". Under light loads, the Core2 CPU's throttle back to a X6 multiplier to reduce heat. Under load, they go to full speed.

couldnt get the ram to go above 1000mhz. it worked when i set it to 667mhz in BIOS but then in CPUZ it said it was at 333, with a 1:1 ratio with the FSB:DRAM. said:

couldnt get the ram to go above 1000mhz. it worked when i set it to 667mhz in BIOS but then in CPUZ it said it was at 333, with a 1:1 ratio with the FSB:D RAM.

CPU-Z uses memory frequency. The BIOS uses the memory clock. DDR2 RAM remember? Each bus cycle generates 2 RAM clocks.

I couldnt find anywhere in my bios to configure the ratio between FSB:DRAM. what am i missing? said:

I couldnt find anywhere in my bios to configure the ratio between FSB:D RAM. what am i missing?

The BIOS will let you set CPU and RAM speed independently. CPU-Z calculates the FSB:RAM ratio.

Part A lot of the confusion comes from the fact that everyone seems to define these terms slightly differently.

m
l
October 2, 2010 6:56:09 AM

Ok, that all makes sense except for one thing... why does my OC fail when I take the RAM above 1000mhz? It wont POST and i have to do a reset on the BIOS. how do i correct this instability? change the timings?

your post was very helpful, thank you.
how do I make cpuz show me the 'real' values? can i run prime95 and then run cpuz to 'trick' it into showing me?
m
l
October 3, 2010 4:28:02 AM

ok messed around a bit more, and although it would boot, I got BSOD as soon as I tried to stress test at 3.0ghz for the cpu and 833mhz for RAM. I must be doing something wrong?
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 4, 2010 5:04:50 AM

MRFS said:

It is not absolutely necessary to achieve a 1 : 1 FSB : DRAM ratio,
because Intel's chipsets can run AOK in "asynchronous" mode
(i.e. NOT 1 : 1) e.g. a ratio of 400 : 533 should work fine
as long as your BIOS and chipset can run the DRAM frequency
at that speed.

MFRS is right. It is not absolutely necessary. But there's two things to keep in mind: first, overclocking RAM in a Core2 system gets you little if any increase in system performance. Second, it can contribute to increased instability - something you really don't need when you are overclocking (or any other time :)  ). We discuss that here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth
m
l
October 4, 2010 12:38:57 PM

I cannot find anywhere in by BIOS to change to asynchronus mode. The only frequency i can find changes both ram and cpu speed. Im sure im missing a setting somewhere, but the only ratio i can find is the x6-x9 for the cpu. Is it possible that my board doesnt have it? could someone look in the manual and find what im looking for? i cant...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2010 2:48:48 PM

I just looked at the BIOS on my P5B. Here are the settings you are looking for:

Advanced->Jumper Free Configuration-> AI Tuning [Manual]->DRAM Frequency

The above setting will let you change your RAM:FSB ratio. The first setting under "Auto" is 1:1. The actual wordng will change based on the FSB you are running. Running your bus speed at 266MHz, it will read "DDR2-533", running at 333MHz it will read "DDR2-667", etc. It will always be double your bus speed. Just below this setting in the BIOS is also where you can set the voltage for your RAM.

To tweak the memory timings go to:

Advanced->North Bridge Configuration->Configure DRAM Timing by SPD [Disabled]

You can overclock easier if you relax the RAM timings.
m
l
October 5, 2010 9:33:47 PM

so at 355mhz 1:1 ratio, it was highly unstable. I didnt try a step down at 333mhz because that would have put the RAM at 667mhz, and that seem really low especially if it only resulted in a small OC. maybe I'll cave in and try it... however,
the timings i was running was 5-5-5-15. should I modify this? also, what other setting in BIOS should I be changing? I have been following some youtube guides and articles changing certain values, but im not sure if these are helping or hurting my cause. any more details would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2010 11:13:35 PM

Lock your PCIe frequency to 100MHz and your PCI to 33MHz. Also, try setting all voltage settings you can find to an actual value rather than "Auto". When set to auto, things will get unstable because it will overclock everything along with the FSB.
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 9, 2010 6:46:43 PM

Confirms what I said:
"overclocking RAM in a Core2 system gets you little if any increase in system performance".
m
l
October 12, 2010 3:54:05 PM

took the RAM down to 667 and CPU to 3.0ghz. still not stable.
not sure what to do, beginning to give up...
m
l
October 14, 2010 3:54:27 AM

jsc said:
First of all, you do not need DDR2-1066 RAM. The probability of getting your FSB freq over 400 MHz (DDR2-800 speeds) is very small.

Second, your limiting factor will be the AC7FP cooler. You probably won't be able to get much past 3.3 GHz with decent load temps.

The stock FSB freq of a Q6600 is 266 MHz. So allyou will need at stock is DDR2-533 RAM. There is little to no benefit in overclocking RAM on a Core2 system.

I always go for a 1:1 FSB:RAM (sychronomous) ratio. The big disadvantage tooverclocking RAM is not heat or energy. It is a contributiontoward instability.

So, Jsc, are you telling that it's the CPU bottleneck? (266 Mhz)
m
l
!