Xp installation hangs

tylenardo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Hey I just finished building a new gaming machine and Im trying to install win xp but the installation has hung up at the installing windows portion with 34 minutes to go. It's been more than 34 minutes and the timer hasn't budged, it's still reading 34 minutes any ideas? My only guess is that I have 4 gigs of ram and the version of xp is a 32 bit version. I dont know if that would make it not install properly or not but I thought I should mention it.

--Thanks

If you are installing an older version of XP onto new hardware that can create a problem. I would not say 34 minutes is definitive though. Depending on the hardware and XP version it could seem to hang up a while.

Did you verify that all the BIOS settings were correct before starting the installation?

tylenardo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
It is an older version of xp and its been about an hour and no progress. I didnt verify the bios before installing good call. Should I kill the install to verify the bios?

That would be a good start. Make sure the hard drive is set to IDE compatibility in the BIOS, even though you may have a SATA drive.

If you can slipstream your XP, it would help a great deal as well:
http://www.nliteos.com/

This would enable you to pre-load the XP service packs, and so make it more compatible with new hardware.

Of course, you might have other issues and that might not help.

tylenardo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I checked my bios and my hard drive is set for ide computability and it is recognizing all the ram. I pulled a stick and am going to try and reinstall. Just a side note that my cpu temp is 33c and my core temp is 49c. I don't know if this is running hot or not but the stick of ram I pulled was noticeably warm to the touch. what temps should this be running. I have a gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3f MB and the intel e8500 CPU with the xigmatek cooler installed

Without the OS I'm hesitant to say how far off your CPU temps are. Every BIOS or program uses it's own yardstick. My BIOS reported a Tcase CPU temp below the ambient temp in my room first time I fired it up.

49C core temps at idle would not be good though, if that is the real temp. That might quickly climb to hot levels under load, as in while installing XP... but again, it's hard to say. If you used the correct amount of thermal paste and applied it correctly, I would say it's likely not an issue with that cooler. Just make sure the fan is spinning.

tylenardo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Installation went smoothly and xp is installed. I also installed real temp and speed fan to check those temps.

Speed fan temps: temp 1:50c, temp 2: 29c, temp 3: -2c, core 0: 43c, core 1: 44c

Real temp: temp: 43c, 44c
distance to TJ Max: 57, 56

The fans are running. Those temps seem warm for a system at idle. Could something be wrong?

tylenardo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
its on pretty tight but the directions gave no indication as to how tight it should be. I dont want to crush the CPU. I used thermal paste and it is attatched to the mb with a xogmatek crossbow bolt through attachment. How tight should it be?