Sign in with
Your question

So Mad. System won't boot :( So much for beginner's luck :(

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2009 1:17:28 AM

Ok, built a computer. Got everything put together and plugged in to the best of my abilities. Press the power button, everything lights up, fans start, etc, it's almost too quiet though, lol, but nothing comes though on screen...

At that I've given up for the night, I'll probably just take it to a tech and go from there, but naturally I start thinking worst possible scenarios...

How hard is it to mess up installing the CPU? It's a Intel Quad 9550, and a P45 gigabyte MOBO, it only could go in one way. I set in in there, closed the stuff down, and locked it into place.

Is that all there is to it?

What do the pins look like for this generation of stuff, I always remembered them being straight up and pokie, but this chip had no pins, and the slot didn't have straight up and down things.

Everything was brand new, so I assume it's all as it should be, but I can't help but think I messed up something critical.

Gosh I'm so frustrated though :( 

Here is the build for posterity:

*walks of crying*
February 28, 2009 1:19:43 AM

Did you remember to plug in the 4/8 pin cpu power?
February 28, 2009 1:27:46 AM

Yeah, I plugged in both of the plugs for CPU power :(  I'd like to think it is the stupid video card, but I really don't have much of a clue at the moment :( 
Related resources
February 28, 2009 1:30:33 AM

both? I think that psu only has 1 4 pin cpu power connector to fit on an 8 pin spot on your board.
February 28, 2009 1:31:13 AM

Press down good on the card to make sure it's seated all the way.

Same with the RAM.
February 28, 2009 8:59:08 AM

Yeah, went through the checklist, is there a way to tell if the processor was installed wrong? When I turn the system off the Caps/Num/Tab lights on the keyboard all light up before it finally shuts off. Does that mean anything?

This MOBO doesn't appear to have any sound to it, so I can't even tell if it's posting or wants to give me a beep. There are also a row of little lights on the MOBO itself that are lit up when the power is on, but I can't even find anything about them in the manual... They're in different colors like red, orange, etc, there's 6 of them I think.
February 28, 2009 9:12:17 AM

TechPriestAcolyte said:

This MOBO doesn't appear to have any sound to it, so I can't even tell if it's posting or wants to give me a beep. There are also a row of little lights on the MOBO itself that are lit up when the power is on, but I can't even find anything about them in the manual... They're in different colors like red, orange, etc, there's 6 of them I think.

Did you hook up the case speaker to the motherboard? I have the same board, look at the manual and figure out what the lights are telling you.

February 28, 2009 9:18:40 AM

TechPriestAcolyte said:

At that I've given up for the night, I'll probably just take it to a tech and go from there, but naturally I start thinking worst possible scenarios...

How hard is it to mess up installing the CPU? It's a Intel Quad 9550, and a P45 gigabyte MOBO, it only could go in one way. I set in in there, closed the stuff down, and locked it into place.

Is that all there is to it?

Everything was brand new, so I assume it's all as it should be, but I can't help but think I messed up something critical.

*walks of crying*

Yes, that's all there is to putting the CPU in the mobo. You installed the cooler, right? :lol: 

Don't worry about it, at worst you take it apart and rebuild it.

A few things I would do are start it up with only 1 stick of ram.

Does the video cards fan come on?

Does the hard drive spin up? (feel it)
February 28, 2009 11:40:34 AM

What Intel did when they went to the LGA case style was to tranfer the cost of the socket pins to the motherboard makers. You noticed the small notches in the CPU case? They only fit the socket one way.

Remember, if you have only the 4 pin plug for CPU power, it goes into the 4 pins closest to the CPU.

Try the following for some troubleshooting ideas:

Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU. Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to get this far.

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.

!