Solved

RAM overcloking

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Overclocking
  • RAM
Last response: in Overclocking
September 26, 2010 10:09:50 AM

Hi guys, I'm trying to overclock my PC and I researching on ways to do that. I'm pretty much newbie on this hobby and I want to know for what reason do you underclock your RAM when your trying to overclock your CPU. Please somebody enlighten me ^_^

More about : ram overcloking

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2010 12:20:10 PM

So that if your PC crashes, you know it's more than likely because of your CPU, not your RAM. Also for many systems as you OC your CPU your RAM also increases, so you underclock it initially so that your CPU OC does not inadvertantly push your RAM past a point where it can run.
m
l
September 26, 2010 11:47:21 PM

ekoostik said:
So that if your PC crashes, you know it's more than likely because of your CPU, not your RAM. Also for many systems as you OC your CPU your RAM also increases, so you underclock it initially so that your CPU OC does not inadvertantly push your RAM past a point where it can run.

Thanks but how will I exactly know my RAM limit? Is it from the MOBO or the ram itself?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2010 11:56:58 PM

Your RAM is rated for a certain speed. If it is good quality you can often go beyond that but there's no guarantee. Just like your CPU - RAM can be overclocked but each individual piece of hardware has it's own limit.

So, the rated limit is from the RAM itself. If you're asking what YOUR ram's rated limit is, provide a link to the RAM.

EDIT: An example of what to look for on your RAM packaing is 9-9-9-24 1333 MHz at 1.5V
m
l
September 27, 2010 12:47:00 AM

I see, my RAM is DDR2-800 which is KVR800D2N6/2G found here --> http://www.valueram.com/desktop/memory.asp.
CPU-Z DRAM frequency is 419.7 MHz. Since its rated at 400Mhz then is it right to conclude i OCed it by 19.7Mhz? timings are stock btw which is 6-6-6-18. I just increased the volt to 2.0 from 1.8 stock.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 27, 2010 1:09:36 AM

http://www.valueram.com/desktop/memory.asp
(Your link accidentally included the end of sentence period)

"KVR800D2N6/2G 2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM"

Short answer to your question is yes, sort of. The long answer is:

Because DDR data transfer data on the rising and falling edge of the clock signal, RAM manufacturers will refer to RAM as Double the frequency. So although CPU-Z shows your RAM at 419.7 MHz, the memory companies and almost all users (unless they clarify otherwise) will say that your RAM is running at double that rate i.e. 839.4 MHz.

What's my point? So using the more common language/definition you've actually OCed your RAM by 39.4 MHz.
September 27, 2010 1:19:16 AM

Best answer selected by imakuzim.
m
l
September 27, 2010 1:27:11 AM

Thanks a lot! That clarified things! :D 

I have another question though if you don't mind.
I was trying to reach HT Link 1000 MHz with an HT multiplier of 800Mhz (4). Simple math that would be 250 FSB. Now the thins is I'm just stable at 246 FSB. So I was wondering if the issue is with the CPU or RAM. RAM ratio is 1:2 cpu:ram. So I tried to change it to 1:1.66 and it won't boot!
Now my question is what could be the possible reason for it not to boot to a lesser cpu-ram ratio when it is stable at higher one. I haven't changed anything except the ram ratio, which I thought would be the way to know which went wrong (Correct me if I'm wrong please :D ).
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 27, 2010 1:56:22 AM

Sounds like you took the right approach, backing down the RAM. Are your other settings - timings and Vs set by hand or are they on auto? If on auto, manually set them so you know the motherboard isn't changing them. It's more likely the CPU causing the problem. But I am not as familiar with the architecture you're using. If you can't get it to boot, start a new thread. Someone should be able to help. State your problem like you just did and list out ALL components in your system, and be clear about what BIOS settings you have specifically set and what you've tried and results so far.
m
l
September 27, 2010 2:59:42 AM

Okay I'll make a new thread. Thanks for the help.
m
l
!