Sign in with
Your question

Cpu heatsink trouble

Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2009 7:16:36 AM

Got all my parts today and finshed putting the pc together. Went with the CPU AMD|PH II X4 955 3.2G AM3 and MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3. Had a pretty big problem trying to force those metal brackets over those clips on the mb. Tried to move over that plastic handle to lock it but it was just way to tight and was starting to mold the screw into the plastic middle.

What im wondering is, Since its super tight right now should I not worry about that little handle being turned on the other side?

If i was to get the dark knight to replace this heatsink would it fit much better? and what else would i need to buy to replace it? Some cleaner and thermal paste for the cpu?

More about : cpu heatsink trouble

a b à CPUs
May 30, 2009 12:15:52 PM

I have no idea about the AM2/3 retention brackets. But if you were to get the DK, you would just need the Thermal Paste, and only if you don't like the stuff they include(not a pad obviously). You can use rubbing alcohol to clean your CPU. again since I am unfamiliar with AM2/3 I can not be sure if it includes everything for AM2/3, most likely it does.

Stuff in package(click to enlarge)
May 30, 2009 5:57:10 PM

Thanks for the reply will look for new cooler in the next few days. Really unsettled by the trouble i had wth this one (first time building a pc).
!