Sign in with
Your question

EX58 UD3R board + 2 CPU fans

Last response: in Motherboards
August 8, 2009 11:53:47 AM

Hey,

short and simple: I'm wondering how Gigabyte UD3R will handle the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366, which has 2 fans on the heatsink. I intend on connecting it to CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN2, but my question is whether or not they both provide fan speed control to rise and fall in RPM as the system idles or loads?

Also, as a side question: Is it stupid not going for the UD4P and using trichannel? I heard trichannel basically didn't improve much over dual channel, so I was gonna do 4x2GB ram, but if trichannel is faster 6 GB of ram should be plenty sufficient.

Thanks in advance,

Ottosen.
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 8, 2009 4:03:54 PM

This will give you control from the proper header, and feedback to another:
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 8, 2009 4:11:01 PM

Well - that looks really crappy to me, and click to zoom doesn't seem to work consistently for me, so I assume others have the same trouble - let's try another:
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2009 7:10:43 PM

I'd like to know what you meant, but I don't. What's wrong with using the connectors on the motherboard again?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 8, 2009 7:34:07 PM

The CPU_FAN header is the only one 'slaved' to (i.e., controlled by) the CPU temperature; the SYS_FAN2 connector, theoretically, is 'slaved' to the northbridge temp sensor; I got this idea from Arctic, which makes a number of PWM fans with this sort of cabling, so you can attach several to one header (limit of about five); there will also be a disparity in how the fans run due to the fact that the SYS_FAN2 header does not actually produce a 5V PWM signal on pin four - its 12V on pin two is actually PWM modulated, which allows it to control a three pin fan, as well... The left hand harness part of the drawing doesn't pertain, here; I did it to allow both bridges to be cooled off the SYS_FAN2 header, with a variable 'split' between them...
m
l
!