Move outlook mail from windows XP to windows 7 and Outlook 2010

gedeonss

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Hello,
How does one move outlook mail from windows XP to windows 7 and Outlook 2010. Can I move the .pst file? The computer's video board croaked and my old drive is now in a Linux machine where I can't run Outlook. I can only move files around.

gedeonss

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

Yes, so I copy the archive.pst, archive1.pst, outlook.pst and outlook1.pst to a portable drive (from the Linux machine that has my old drive in it). Then I take the portable drive to my new portable Windows 7 machine and then try importing 1st the outlook1.pst into Outlook.

If I'm not happy, I'll next try importing the archive1.pst to see if that is good, right? (Then if no good, the outlook and last the archive pst files which are both very old.) Am I good so far?

And, do these files contain not only my email messages, but also my contacts list?

The pst file is just mail, not contacts. You can import those seperately I believe. The outlook.pst should be your mail. The archives and outlook1 are either older pst files or the pst file may have reached it's max size and outlook created a new pst file.

G

Wrong! All Outlook information is stored in the Outlook.pst file including mail, contacts, calendar & tasks.